What (if anything) would make a Charger a light wind kite?

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

What (if anything) would make a Charger a light wind kite?

Postby jeffnyc » December 20th, 2017, 10:14 pm

What (if anything) would make a Charger a light wind kite? The v3 has a lighter fabric, but as I understand it, it only adds a tiny bit of low end, if at all. Is the curved shape itself just not conducive to light wind - are kites like the fly surfers flatter or something? I'm not talking mods, I'm wondering if there would be any way PL could design a super light wind arc. Probably not enough interest from the masses even if they could, unfortunately...

Too much time at work - I haven't even had a chance to fly mine in a couple months, so I start thinking about silly stuff like this...
jeffnyc

Re: What (if anything) would make a Charger a light wind kit

Postby patfrap » December 24th, 2017, 8:19 pm

il existe l'aéro pour les lights winds
patfrap

Postby jeffnyc » December 24th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Yes, there are a lot of great light wind kites. Aero looks way cool. Was just curious as to what it is that stops the Charger from getting that kind of light wind performance. Nice to have clean bridles and all the other groovy arc stuff. Was just wondering if it was even possible, or are there insurmountable design problems?
jeffnyc

Postby andy666 » December 26th, 2017, 11:11 am

The main limiting factor is simply projected area. The arc shape has about 30%(ish) less projected area then the same size flysurfer.

The other factor is the lack of bridles. Yes, the nice clean lack of bridles on an arc actually reduces its light wind ability. That’s because the arc needs internal pressure and external wind pressure to hold its shape. On the other hand a bridled foil like a fly surfer can be launched with almost zero internal pressure, because the bridles help the kite keep its shape and not collapse. This also applies in the lulls, when an arc would collapse a flysurfer will keep its shape.

Now, that’s not to say that you can’t fly arcs in light wind and match the performance of a bridled foil, but it takes a bit more skill and no room for mistakes.
I have buggied easily with my 15m flysurfer in winds as low as 4 knots. The kite holds its shape in the lulls and can easily “pump” the front lines to keep moving.
I have also buggier with my custom 1830 f-arc in the same winds, but it took a lot more effort. I had to pre-fill the kite with a fan. Then as soon as I launch I had to get moving to build apparent wind to maintain internal pressure.
andy666

Postby jeffnyc » December 28th, 2017, 2:46 am

Thanks Andy! That’s exactly the answer I was looking for. Makes perfect sense.
jeffnyc

Postby Hardwater Kiter » January 19th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Materials and AR are also factors. Lots of fabric given the low PA. Unlike an LEI.

AR helps considerably. F-Arcs are the closest thing to a "light wind" Arc. For example, a 12m F-Arc will pull as well as a 19m Charger.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby jeffnyc » January 25th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Yeah, my charger is definitely a giant puff ball, lots of fabric. Today is probably a great day to pull it out, but of course I have deadlines...

Thanks for the replies guys!
jeffnyc

Return to On the Water