Extra Spars On Guerilla Kite

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Extra Spars On Guerilla Kite

Postby PistolPete » May 2nd, 2018, 4:34 pm

Hi, New to this Forum but not new to kiting or Arc kites. I fly a 19m Venom and 15m Synergy on the water and have stacked a few S-Arcs for fun. I just got a few old Guerilla kites to stack and the 13m came with 2 extra spar sleeves and spars sewn into the kite. I plan to stack a 13m and 10m, but I wonder if I should leave it as a 4 spar kite or remove the 2 modified spars. The sleeves are well sewn on so pulling the stitching out would do more damage than good... I'd appreciate your opinions and ideas. Thanks, Pete

ExtraSparG13.jpg
ExtraSparG13.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 420 times
PistolPete

Re: Extra Spars On Guerilla Kite

Postby andy666 » May 7th, 2018, 10:58 am

Never seen that one before.
I have heard of guys putting a pool noodle in the centre cell, with the idea being that it would reduce the chance of a bow tie. The pool noodle effectively halves the aspect ratio where the bow tie could occur, because the centre cell is now ridged the bow tie would have to occur between the noodle and windtip. So maybe the extra spar is for something like that?

Another though is maybe it’s a way of reducing the size of the kite, by attaching the lines at the 2nd spar the wingtips would just flap and the 13m now becomes a 10m(ish). Are the any attachment points on the extra spar pocket?
andy666

Re: Extra Spars On Guerilla Kite

Postby PistolPete » May 9th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Hi Andy,

No line connections on the inner spars. The inner spar pockets have ends that open and velcro closed so it will be easy enough to remove them and fly the kite with and without the spars to see if there is any difference. My guess is like yours that they are there to add some rigidity to the kite which may help it keep it's shape, improving the efficiency. Probably more in the lower wind range as at higher winds the kite is more rigid. The trade I guess is added weight in the lower wind range, but 13m Arcs are not very low wind kites.

I understand the S-Arc came with a PL 02 bar that had no-throw / fixed / no-depower. And this design took advantage of deformation causing loss of efficiency to help make smoother power with better usability. The G1 was the next kite after the S-Arc and I wonder if adding spars/struts to reduce deformation was the idea of this experiment since the 03 bar with throw / depower was introduced, along with the G1.

I'll report back and let you know if I can detect any differences...
PistolPete

Return to On the Water