Modifying an old Venom 19

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Modifying an old Venom 19

Postby Matt » July 2nd, 2010, 5:51 pm

Hi all,
I just bought an old Venom 19. It is in very good shape and the price was unbeatable.
I looked through the old posts on the yahoo group and there are so much mods that I can't find which one are the best to apply to my kite. I saw the BSR, also an adjustable TET (leech line). I like the leech line because it's easy to return to an unmodded version, I remember that there was a way to shorten the straps without sewing them, but I don't find the link. It was on Funalex website I think, but it's not on line anymore.
So, if someone know a place where the mods are well explained with pictures and all, it would be great.

Sorry to bother some of you with an outdated topic like that.

Matt
S-Arc 630
Vortex 10
Synergy 15
Matt

Re: Modifying an old Venom 19

Postby tungsten » July 7th, 2010, 10:33 am

Hi Matt, having modded the heck out of Venoms this is what I would do:

1. a small bridle for faster steering (more response) and good balance (see pic)
2. shortening braids in the shoulder for faster turning:
-first braid (LE)- nothing
-second braid: 6cm
-third braid (TE): 10cm
3. shortening braid in the middle for more stability:
-fist braid (LE): 12cm
4. depending on your bar, you might have to trim the front line length by adding another knot in the front pigtail. Avoid stalling
5. TET mod (22mm per cell for all cells between zipper and zipper) or TE line (see pic)
6. leave middle cell adjuster open, this would only stall the kite.

I'm still flying my modded VII-16 which is a good light wind kite, par with 14m Wainman boss and 16m Cabrinha, really nice in the waves. Modded V19 is a bit slower but has more raw pull. Launching is a bit funny in the beginning, until it's fully inflated the kite sits deep down in the window. Once it't full it comes alive. With those mods you can fly the kite with tight rear lines for more park'n ride grunt, or slack rears for more speed.
Attachments
n_a-3.jpg
n_a-3.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
n_a-4.jpg
n_a-4.jpg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
SAP mod NEW.jpg
SAP mod NEW.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
Last edited by tungsten on July 7th, 2010, 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
tungsten

Postby tungsten » July 7th, 2010, 10:36 am

So in combination this is what works best IMO, tried about everything Bob and Lach and Funalex and others came up with and this is a combo of it all the way I like it. Mods depend on each other.

For the braids, just sew them down, it's faster and more accurate.
Attachments
n_a.jpg
n_a.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
n_a-1.jpg
n_a-1.jpg (29.61 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
n_a-2.jpg
n_a-2.jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
tungsten

Postby lejonklou » July 7th, 2010, 11:43 am

I never owned anything bigger than a 16 Venom, and I suspect which mods are best will depend on size. I'd just like to say, however, that I really liked the effect of TET (shortening of each cell at the trailing edge) and also the shoulder strap mods.

Shortening the front braid in the middle did make the kite more powerful and stable, but at least the V16 also lost a significant amount of depower.

Tried the bridal on a V2 13 and didn't like it at all. The feedback to the bar got all messed up and I found it very tiring to ride with it. It also seemed to mess up the low wind performance, preventing the kite from accelerating properly.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the monster! :)

Best regards,
Fredrik Lejonklou
Uppsala, Sweden
Best regards,
Fredrik Lejonklou
Uppsala, Sweden
Chargers 12 and 15 on Navigator bar
Mako original and wide / Snowboard
lejonklou

Postby Matt » July 8th, 2010, 12:43 am

Thank you for the detailed answer, since I just got it, I will try it without any mods for a couple rides. I just wait a proper wind, not too strong...
Does the shortening of the shoulder braids is for each side, or do I have to divide by 2 ?
How does the D line hold on the C line, just a clove hitch directly on the line ? doesn't it slide on it ?
Also, the last post worry me a bit because I don't want to loose too much depower with that kind of monster.

Thanks again

Matt
S-Arc 630
Vortex 10
Synergy 15
Matt

Postby tungsten » July 8th, 2010, 6:10 am

Matt, shortening the shoulder is for each side.
Forget the clove hitch, this was to do testing in the beginning, better make knots in the C line every 3cm, say, at 10cm, 13cm, 16cm, 19cm, 22cm, 25cm from the TE, and larks head the pigtail onto the C line. D is just a measured length. Be aware that making knots in the C line shortens the line, by 2-3cm per knot, so make the knots first and measure afterwards.
Shortening the first braid is necessary for stability, It's basically a more pronounced concave LE. No worries with the depower, kite pulls like a truck, but you still can fly it in 20kn with a small board.
tungsten

Postby Matt » July 13th, 2010, 12:53 am

What is the effect of attaching the pigtail farther or closer from the TE on the C line ?
Thank you

By the way, I try it unmodded for the first time yesterday in 5-7 knots, in static of course, but it pull me over the beach nicely, it was stalling a little bit because I didn't adjust it the fit with my long throw bar. But it was way better than my old Bomba for this kind of "non wind"

Matt
S-Arc 630
Vortex 10
Synergy 15
Matt

Postby Tefff » November 11th, 2015, 10:34 am

Hello
Would the same bridle lenghts (on picture above) for Venom II 16 apply also to Venom 1 16?
Tefff

Return to On the Water