Albatross Marks Quick Launch Video

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Albatross Marks Quick Launch Video

Postby Albatross Mark » December 1st, 2011, 3:38 am

Flyboy took video of my simple roll out and launch of arcs......I like my sliding harness as i ride regular foot(left foot forward) at all times and it hasn't caused any problems:So you will see my sliding harness( the S.S. hook has been ground off smooth) with sailors carabiner sliding on doubled throw line secured by looping around each end of the 12 inch bar.My simplified steering bar with no chicken loop so you can pull bar closer to your belly and get more throw range to power and depower the kite...... and more relaxed cruising....My steering leader lines are knoted for grip and for readjustments possible while kite is flying in zenith.......the depower strap has been lengthened(sewed another piece of webbing in) So I have MORE adjustment if wind changes ....West Marine sells the swiveling sailors carbiner and two sizes of Dyneema for throwline in grey(right/starboard) and red(left/port) My thruster surboard WAS a 6'4" and has one loose forward strap of half a fire hose THRU- bolted with fender washers and homade plastic washers(make them with hole saw and plastic cheap bucket ).......My one simple launch was slightly botched but i DID recover and some times the strings are tangled when you roll out the bar but that was because it got dark last time i rolled up and and had to hurry so they werent wrapped up orderly......Hope my ideas may help you enjoy kiting more.....
Albatross is a huge seabird that soars the waves and winds of the high seas mostly in the roarimg 40's. Albatross Mark tries to mimmic this bird using the following kites: 8m Vortex,10m Venom,8m P3 FS,10m North Rebel ,10,12,15, 19m Psycho 4 FlySurfer
Albatross Mark

Re: Albatross Marks Quick Launch Video

Postby Flyboy » December 1st, 2011, 4:02 am

Here's Mark Launching his 15 meter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzGN510Lxm4

Don't pay attention to my laughing! I'm impressed with how quick the whole thing works.

Here's Mark Launching his 10 meter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv9dnVkG ... re=related
Flyboy

Postby Albatross Mark » December 1st, 2011, 5:41 am

Yeah can you hear Flyboy laughing when i almost botched it on the launch? It was NOT a 15, That was Kamakusa's ex 19m Synergy.
Albatross is a huge seabird that soars the waves and winds of the high seas mostly in the roarimg 40's. Albatross Mark tries to mimmic this bird using the following kites: 8m Vortex,10m Venom,8m P3 FS,10m North Rebel ,10,12,15, 19m Psycho 4 FlySurfer
Albatross Mark

Postby TomMcGill » December 1st, 2011, 8:03 am

Mark,

Thanks for posting up via Flyboys video.
First off seeing you in full winter armour was out of character.
Had to turn up the heat, buuuurrrr.

The sliding "carabener" is slick. Not sure if that bit of string for the
quick release, will find your fingers in an "OH Shiiiite Moment".
Perhaps a bright color plastic ball attached at the end for a brail
search under water.
For me the push away in front quick release is "hard-wired".

The standard launch of PL's has a 99% success rate for me. The less than 1%
"launch gone bad" looked like your first vid. Taco/clam/clap, new virus?
Prior to launch your kites bouncing around and sand needs to come off just right
at the proper time. I am sure there is skill involved, but who wants to depend on luck
when it's 10 M weather? Looking for an advantage on the "Albatross Ascent".

When we visit, will show you the sanding of the trailing edge, to prevent the down-wind
"spar-flapper". The easy pull of the down-wind front line to form your "C" shape. 45 degree
positioning from wind..............Most Critical of all, kite is 100% filled prior to launch.

You and Dr. Stan are the only PL riders on Kauai, we'll show you guys the "ghost launch"
Carabiner to a fixed object. Real slick, self launch and self land with almost Zero wear
on the kite.

Aloha,
Tom
TomMcGill

Postby arcsrule » December 1st, 2011, 12:32 pm

hey mark, thanks for the vid!

why do you launch like that? try folding over the tip, and then put the sand on (and only a 1/3rd of that amount). then take a couple steps back, the sand will dump, and the kites should go up 'better'. glad it works for you that way. i won't even try that :lol:

an your harness, get rid of that 'sailors caribeaner' and get a Wichard 'snap--shakel'. i used you kind for a few years until the wichard. your kind wil accidentally release, and it will jam an not release when it's supposed to.

i have a similar sliding set up but have not used it for two reasons.
1. my slingshot surefire is still holding up good.

2. i need a (another)new harness as the one i have rigged is too small--brand new, RED, dakine seat harness. my line that replaced the harness hook is spliced on one side to the spreader. the other end of the line has a spliced loop that i insert into the other end of the spreader bar and held in place by a simple metal (copper) 1/4" tube with a lanyard. pull the lanyard and the kite goes to the leash. my chicken loop is replaced with a 2" stainless ring that that slides on the rope. SAME EFFECT AS YOURS, just rigged differently. JAY'S DYNAMAR stole the idea from me :)
arcsrule

Postby Flyboy » December 1st, 2011, 3:18 pm

I want to add my observations on the Albatross takeing to flight! I will say that on the first launch, I it was fun watching. But it was getting windy and the kite was really big. A friend of ours came out and was lit on a 10 m LEI.
Then Mark launched his 10, and I was super impressed. Yesterday I got a chance to see the launch two more times and each time I was more impressed. I don't think that it's something for a new guy to be doing, but if you know your kites, it's super fast. He rolls out his kite with the bar and lines attatched already. Throws some sand on the tips which are offset. Hoops the kite to start inflating it, unrools his lines. hooks in and basicaly launches. Like Arcsrule, I also thought that folding the tips would work better. Mark said that he likes to be able to pull the kite around to face the wind and fill it more just before launch. All in all, I think it's a great launch, but maybe not for everyone.
Flyboy

Postby Albatross Mark » December 1st, 2011, 4:12 pm

Thanks for your last comment Flyboy.Your observations are right on.Thanks for doing video.Thanks for the plane ride.Kite or plane you command them well.Arcsrule where can i see/buy the "wichard"??
Albatross Mark

Postby Hardwater Kiter » December 1st, 2011, 5:12 pm

A little more internal pressure would go a long way. Of course I'm also a proponent of mechanical assist with the inflation. Safer, faster, easier. Life's to short for me to be dickin' around waiting for our crappy wind to inflate my Arcs. Mark if you were launching Chargers like that I can see why issues arose. From a non Peter Lynn rider's point of view that must look just down right bad. LEI guys must think that Arcs are the worst and hardest launching kites out there.

Unlike Tom we never launch via Peter Lynn launch procedure especially on bare ice. The wind never stays steady enough or in the same direction enough to do it that way. I've launched that way in steady winds but I prefer a Clamshell launch style similar to what Mark illustrated.

Interesting to see your spreader set up. We played with that as well but felt that the biner was very "Clunky" feeling. Worked well tho.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby arcsrule » December 1st, 2011, 6:31 pm

http://www.offshorespars.com/store/wich ... ckles.html
i use the 2673. i replace the trigger pull line with q power line. they're not cheap, but work every time.
arcsrule

Postby tungsten » December 1st, 2011, 6:40 pm

Mark, the shackle you use is a halyard shackle and does NOT open under load. It's outright dangerous.

Arcsrule has it, the wichard is in use for ages, i.e. look here http://saucisseman.free.fr/wichard_en.htm

or try this. I'm using this setup for ages.
Attachments
WIchard trigger.jpg
WIchard trigger.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
WIchard bar4.jpg
WIchard bar4.jpg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
Wichard bar2.jpg
Wichard bar2.jpg (124.26 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
WIchard bar1.jpg
WIchard bar1.jpg (144.9 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
tungsten

Postby Hardwater Kiter » December 1st, 2011, 7:01 pm

I like the use of the rubber to smooth the pivot action. Probably keeps it from being flipfloppy. Mine has a spring that self centers it and mine is a little grindy.

Here's a short video example of a "Ghost launch" Not the best autozenith launch I've done but any launch you can fly away from.....

http://youtu.be/5YlKbe21xdI
Hardwater Kiter

Postby zerogee » December 1st, 2011, 7:16 pm

That launch is way too unpredictable for all but the roomist beach with the steadiest wind for me. It would be called the "Russian Roulette Launch" at any of my launches. :D It might even be harder on the kite materials too (unusual stresses and strains compared to a steady launch)???

Thanks for the video flyboy. It is exactly as I pictured it.

I agree with what has been said about that shackle you are using. I have used it before (10 years ago). That type can be easily jammed by the pressure of the kite loading it in emergencies and by sand or ice when you really need it to work. I have used them as the chicken loop and on the kite leash. In both applications, I had situations (just in very powered landing situations, not even emergencies... they did turn into a kitemare though) that needed both hands and all my strength to open the release. It can be down right scarey.

I have been using the Whichard 2673 for most of the last 10 years as a chicken loop and it has been more reliable than any chicken loop I have used. This is the only type of shackle I will trust. Always releases. Never jams. No accidental releases either (if setup as a pull away from you safety).
"SYNERGY... the interaction of two or more forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects."
zerogee

Postby zerogee » December 1st, 2011, 7:26 pm

The last time I used the Ghost Launch the kite pulled out the anchor and shot right over the trees 100 yards away and proceeded to fly over another 300 yards of marsh when the kites bridle got snagged on a tree. Who knows how far into the marsh it would have gone if those trees were not there. :lol:

I got lazy and did not put in a second anchor for the kite leash. :roll:
"SYNERGY... the interaction of two or more forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects."
zerogee

Postby maddy » December 1st, 2011, 9:34 pm

:? scary movie

looks like a time trip
maddy

Postby Albatross Mark » December 1st, 2011, 9:40 pm

Thanks for the advice on the shackle....Will get one ASAP....i'll try google one up ,meanwhile i am buying Arcspearo's Charger 15m KO . and he is throwing one of those Whichard's in the box....he still has a 10mCharger and bar for sale.
Albatross Mark

Postby steuu » December 2nd, 2011, 9:04 am

I'm not really convinced....

I launched Peter lynn from 19 to 10 mq...
Even when you launch the 10mq in strong wind in my experience the better they're filled the easier would be the lunch, you can use the side of the windows to lift the kite in a easier manner.

When the kite is not filled enough you can have unpredictable things (hand claps, bowtie, offwind drags..)

Just put enough sand on the tips...

my 2 cents
steuu

Postby Mac » December 2nd, 2011, 10:41 am

Mark, the more i watch your strange starting technique, the more i ask myself why you are still alive :shock: :D

Personally, i always fill my arcs as full as possible, to avoid those nasty handclapping/bowtie-thingies... and to save my bones. And you should do the same...
Core Riot XR 15/12/9, Scorpion 7, RL Hawaii 145*45, Carved 128*34, Speedneedle 151*29 selfmade prototype
Mac

Postby Hardwater Kiter » December 2nd, 2011, 1:35 pm

Damn Facebook. I keep reading comments HERE and keep looking for a "like" button. :D
Hardwater Kiter

Postby Albatross Mark » December 4th, 2011, 6:02 am

Arcspearo is sending me a Wichard with 15m Charger i am buying.Yes you guys are right.Haste makes waste.Judge the kite and wind and put the right amount of sand on the very edge of each wing tip then lay tips so they get the vents to start filling.Then when you get hooked in and ready for launch pull the kite so it gets more wind into the vents.Wait for it to look FULL. When the internal pressure gets strong the upper tip will want to throw its sand off.Be ready with propper rear line tension and let her throw it off.Hold her to side. She will fill some more. Then give her a jerk on the lower tip to drop off lower sand and hold her and bring her up slowly on side of window completely filling. I botch the launches when i am impatient and dont wait for filling.I do wear helmet and booties and give myself some downwind room.I am more scared of jumping over 5 feet.Sometimes i ramp overhead waves and fly 20 feet but i throw off my single loose forward strap and land on my feet. Practice this winter but slowly go higher and higher.Wanna
kite a long time and not break anything.
Albatross Mark

Postby ssameer » December 4th, 2011, 9:54 am

TomMcGill wrote:we'll show you guys the "ghost launch"
Carabiner to a fixed object. Real slick, self launch and self land with almost Zero wear
on the kite.

Aloha,
Tom

hi tom, i have thought about doing this before but never have. can you post a video? i always feared something MIGHT go wrong with that method, and i've been lucky enought to have assistants around usually. still, would be great to have another technique to use. do you "walk the kite down" along the leading edge, or trailing edge(steering) line? **update** actually, i'm more interested in seeing how this works for landing. never had any problems launching.

mark, i can't believe that's how you consistently launch, seems pretty sketchy to me, be careful mate. one of the joys of flying arcs is the super easy and 99.9% success rate of the standard 45degree launch, and that .1% was in the beginning and with large phantoms in gusty winds.

also, i can't really tell from the video, is it the wingtips, or the leading edge that's facing into the wind? it would seem that it's the LE, but anytime i ever have laid out my kites on the beach, the wind just blows the whole canopy downwind. does the sanding in the taco position actually keep the LE facing into the wind?? still, doesn't really seem any faster than the way i launch, but definitely seems like there's much more potential for mishaps. be safe.

-ssameer aka trippel s aka mykl ;)
[url]sslove.posterous.com[/url]
ssameer

Next

Return to On the Water