Wet, soggy Arcs

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Wet, soggy Arcs

Postby Flyboy » December 5th, 2012, 3:11 am

Winter's here, and I've been ridding my Venoms and Syn's in the rain... It seems like they keep getting wetter and wetter and start stalling more and more. Is this normal, or should I think about coating them?

Re: Wet, soggy Arcs

Postby marcodk » December 6th, 2012, 9:30 am

:idea: Try to breath trough the tissue. If you can you need to coat them.

Postby Albatross Mark » December 6th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Flyboy,Sell all your old tubes ....then Buy a North Neo 9m tube.....it wont get soggy in rain or dropping it in water....they have the comfortable gust absorption similar to the Peter Lynns but they dont get soggy and are easy to water relaunch, are safer to use in the ocean,,,and are SUPERB for RIDING WAVES....Peter Lynns have their place in your quiver BUT THEY ARE NOT THE WISEST CHOICE IN ALL CONDITIONS....you like me have been surfers for most of our lives ...dont get in trouble in the ocean because you are stuborn about foils..and i know you do Some dangerous areas with dangerous winds ...The other fact of tubes is they can keep tuning the shape of the kite for special uses ....The North Neo is designed for surfers and they have done an excellent job and with North it will just get better and better and better..........
Albatross is a huge seabird that soars the waves and winds of the high seas mostly in the roarimg 40's. Albatross Mark tries to mimmic this bird using the following kites: 8m Vortex,10m Venom,8m P3 FS,10m North Rebel ,10,12,15, 19m Psycho 4 FlySurfer
Albatross Mark

Postby MonkeyAir » December 7th, 2012, 5:20 am

Hey Mark
Think they want us to keep from talking about tube kites on this group, especially other company tube kites. but......
PL makes a great tube kite if Flyboy is looking for a tube. The PL tube kite Escape (lower aspect) is a great all around kite and fun in the waves, It has projected area and good turning for a flatter design. Huge range, good relaunch (total depower for strapless) all in the package. If you are going to pimp North, you might want to try some other brands including PL tubes. I have sent the new model PL chargers to a few customers and looking forward to the reviews on this group. PS..Heaps of great tube kites out there Mark. North is just one of many good brands and you might just find you like some other brands more for your weight in the waves.

Postby Flyboy » December 8th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Thanks Marco,
I tried to breath through the cloth, but was unable to. It's fairly crispy actually so I don't think that's actually the problem now. But I did remember all of a sudden last night that I have taped over the drain outlets. So I'll untape those and see if it helps.
@ Mark: get those Neo's back here and I'll try em!

Postby Cloudsfan » December 9th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Actually this is the main gripe I have with my Chargers. They all fly like pigs once they're soaked.
Only moderate rain OR a short stay in the water in dry weather, I can manage.
But on rainy days I have to be extra cautious not to make them fall in the water otherwise it's end of the session for me.
That's about the only time I feel my equipment is inferior to all the other kites (mainly tubes) I ride alongside.

Postby Flyboy » December 26th, 2012, 1:28 am

Update on soggy arcs:
I removed the tape I had covering the drain outlets. I had covered them after a thread on the internal pressure. My 10 venom flew much better in the rain today. It might not be that tolerant of hard rain, but it didn't just sit there stalled today. So I guess those vents really do something!

Return to On the Water