QC on Ch2's

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

QC on Ch2's

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » March 25th, 2013, 6:58 pm

While this forum has raised valid concerns regarding the quality and workmanship of the Ch1's, am happy to report that the new Ch2's 10m and 15m I received showed none of these issues. This begins with the bags which much like the Ch1 bags in design, VO has made subtle improvements in the Ch2 bags. The zippers on the Ch2 bags seem to work better and close easier. They have also simplified the closures slightly making it easier to open up and put the kite away.

Have found the workmanship and material quality on the Ch2's also of the highest quality. I prefer the newer more sculpted shape of the Ch2's to the boxy design of the Ch1's. Have also found the skin design and colors of the Ch2's more appealing than the very basic mundane design of the Ch1's. On the performance side, unlike the Ch1's the Ch2's perform as advertised out of the box with stable flight and none of the hand clapping problems of the Ch1's. So far have not touched the internal straps or played with the bridles. The Ch2's don't seem to require any adjustments. Have used the Ch2's in strong gusty frontal winds we get in winter on the west coast of Florida and have yet to drop one in the water. Today used the Ch2 15 in winds 25/35 mph averaging 30 mph in shoulder high rollers. Clearly the conditions and big kite pushed me to the limit of my abilities, but it remained controllable throughout the session. Its performance gives me the type of confidence I developed in my well worn V1 13.

From a design standpoint IMHO the Ch2 have more pop and lift than any of the previous Arc's. The Ch1 15 came close, but remained frustratingly uncontrollable for me. This led to a lot of crashes and long swims. So far the high quality stability of the Ch2 has proven a very welcome pleasure. On waves and with jumps the Ch2 stays put in the position you want it to be. This allows the rider to focus on the wave without worrying about the kite.

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Re: QC on Ch2's

Postby arcspearo » March 26th, 2013, 10:48 am

Do you have any flight video of either of these kites?
Good things come to those who wait? No. Good things come to those who work their tails off and never give up.
arcspearo

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » March 26th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Here is the link to the PLK Video of Ch2 in Holland from the PLK web site... http://peterlynn.com/products/twinskin- ... os-videos/
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » March 26th, 2013, 5:58 pm

On the PLK site link above you need to scroll down to get to the you tube video video which shows clearly the tips of the Ch2 narrowed considerably from the Ch1. The Ch2 also a bit longer from tip to tip and wider in the middle. This gives the Ch2 a more sculpted shape compared to the more rectangular shape of the Ch 1. This extra meat in the middle of the Ch2 I think contributes to the extra grunt and pop. The narrower tips may also help the overall stability of the Ch2 which I found much improved over the Ch1 15.....
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby markite » March 28th, 2013, 6:22 pm

if you are interested a while back I took photos comparing the Charger 1, Charger 2 and Phantom 2 all 12m size
Attachments
P2 over Ch2_align LE.jpg
P2 over Ch2_align LE.jpg (162.17 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
Charger 2 over Phamtom2.jpg
Charger 2 over Phamtom2.jpg (166.74 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
Charger 2 and 1 wingtip.jpg
Charger 2 and 1 wingtip.jpg (216.92 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
Charger 2 over 1_align LE.jpg
Charger 2 over 1_align LE.jpg (153.9 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
markite

Postby markite » March 28th, 2013, 6:27 pm

and one more of the Charger 1 on it's own if you want to compare the number of cells to the Charger 2 etc
Attachments
Charger 1_12m.jpg
Charger 1_12m.jpg (123.74 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
markite

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » March 31st, 2013, 11:32 am

Thanks for sending pics which illustrate clearly the differences between the P2, Ch1 and Ch2. The longer more ribbon like shape of the P2 creates less drag and flies faster through the air. As primarily a land kite the more ribbon like shape provides less grunt needed on land with a compensating increase in speed for land use. In the changes between the Ch1 and Ch2 it seems that Pepjin has gone back to a design that IMHO follows closely the outline of the very successful Venoms. He has in narrowed the tips of the Ch2 and giving the kite more belly in the middle and making it longer from tip to tip with sculpted outline unlike the boxy Ch1 and still rectangular P2. With the Ch1 the wider tips and two pulley made for a faster turning kite, but created a host of other problems. With the Ch2 and the Venom shape I can say from quite a few sessions on Ch2's he has fixed the problems. IMHO the CH2 does everything the V's did only better. As such the CH2's give us the type of improvement breakthroughs as with the release of the V's over the G's way back when.

One additional observation is finding the wind range gap between the Ch2 10 and Ch2 15 quite large. Have found myself on the edge in high winds 25/35 mph averaging near 30 mph on Ch2 15 yet underpowered in lulls on Ch2 10 in similar conditions. Think at my weight at 205lbs/92kg on a twin tip I might have been better served with a 12m and 15m combination on Ch2's. Was planning on using my V1 13 for this middle ground between the Ch2 15m and 10m, but now after loving the Ch2's have decided to retire the V1 now seven years old and replace it with a Ch2 12.

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby tungsten » March 31st, 2013, 3:44 pm

Very interesting, thanks for posting markite. The CH2 over CH1 wing tip strikes me. Big changes there. I'm really looking forward to test one. Good to hear the CH2 is the next big step everybody was looking forward to.
tungsten

Return to On the Water