CH2 water relaunch performance

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

CH2 water relaunch performance

Postby arcspearo » April 16th, 2013, 7:43 am

On the fence about the CH2 for water kite.
Had CH1 clam shut issues going on after lifting-off the water, delays opening up.
Any one have video footage of the CH2 relaunching? Any reports of tips sticking together? -Tim
Good things come to those who wait? No. Good things come to those who work their tails off and never give up.
arcspearo

Re: CH2 water relaunch performance

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » April 21st, 2013, 6:38 pm

Hi Arcspero,

I feel your pain with the Ch1 clamming and not opening. Although my Ch1 19 works fine with the stock two pulley bridle, the Ch1 15 nearly killed me.....literally...

For me the Ch2 10 and 15 behave like the best of the PLK twinskins from a stability perspective in a wide variety of conditions. Have mostly used the Ch2's on a TT board in gusty stormy spring conditions in medium sized waist high waves on the Gulf of Mexico on the west coast of Florida. As for the relaunch, I can't say because I have yet to drop a Ch2 or even wet the tips while riding. During my sessions have blown jumps and got twisted coming off the tops of waves. These times when I got a sick feeling seeing the kite disappear over my back shoulder with the lines going limp they would float back over me like a half filled balloon powering up without hitting the water.

What takes some getting used to, at least for me, is adjusting to the POP that the Ch2 generates. While a tad slower turning than the Ch1 the Ch2 the Ch2 IMHO generates a lot more lift and low end grunt. The feel for me of the CH2 approaches the feel of the V's with the same stability....or more....only with more turning speed, low end grunt and lift.

For anyone like you with experience on ARC's IMHO you would have no problem getting a Ch2 to relaunch assuming it hits the water. The key of course here is keeping the kite in the air. My Ch2 15 was forever going in the drink. With V's and Syn's I'd get them wet once or twice a season. In fact, I can't remember the last time those old kites got wet. Expect the same for the Ch2. Both new Ch2's still dry and crispy after a dozen sessions. As to whether they do re-launch I saw this done in the PLK video without much trouble. I've relaunched my Ch1's too many times to count without much trouble. Expect that should I ever drop a Ch2. I have full confidence it will relaunch easily

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » April 21st, 2013, 6:41 pm

Correction... "My Ch2 was forever going in the drink" should read "My Ch1 15 was forever going in the drink"
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby arcspearo » April 22nd, 2013, 6:03 am

Tim,
My CH1 15m went to Albatross Labratories where I heard it was transformed into FRanken-kite. 15m was a "a handful" and just got tired of unknown outcomes. I couldn't relax.
I am glad to know the occasional splash from an attempted trick won't have me struggling to get the kite open and flying again.
I still have RPMs and Oz Edges but, the the ARCs are so much like a familiar friend. I take the inflatables in heavy rains, F'surfer paraglider in super light winds and arcs for day to day with a dozen surfboards.
I remember all the great reviews when the Charger first came out...man, I even wrote one... :roll:
I launched the 10m CH1 in crowded Kailua, drrn thing wouldn't open up, I danced around for 3-4 min with a near out of control clam. I stuck with it and came out with a flyable kite. Local kiters said "that thing is a death trap, but NICE SAVE!"

I am the guy who learned on a V13/16 & Bomba 10.5.
The designs have a special place in there, and I some times still open up Arcoholics video over a beer after a long day at work and turn it up.
Thank you for your post. I am glad to hear the makers have listened to the pilots. -Tim out.
Good things come to those who wait? No. Good things come to those who work their tails off and never give up.
arcspearo

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » April 22nd, 2013, 10:44 am

Arcspearo,

Hope you get a chance to give the Ch2 a ride. Going back to the old S Arc's IMHO the Ch2 the best twinskin PLK has produced and the Ch1 the worst. Both Ch2's have performed brilliantly out of the bag with no adjustments. Would love to hear your thoughts on Ch2 after you have tried them...

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby moondog111 » April 27th, 2013, 1:53 am

Hi. Had the chg 2 out a bit more now that it is spring. The good news: there is no reason to drop it! Yesturday my friend an old guerrilla kiter tried it for the first time and put it in the water leading edge down...I don't know why! He tried pulling in the back lines for a reverse launch without success, but had no problem once he put it into a taco. Very stiff canopy makes it seem like relaunch wont be a problem... BtW the charger 1, r
elaunched fine, Just didn't stay in the air worth a shit! Love the 2!
moondog111

Postby MonkeyAir » May 6th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Hi Arcspearo and gang.
Normally in the past I would have had a quiver of Charger twos of my own the day they came out but as had some expert pilot kite customers for the C2's release and a two year old to feed, I had to pass and now thank my experienced customers who did the initial post team rider write ups. Finally got a brand new 15m charger here kite only in rasta to roll out to test a few days back. Did not get permission from my boss.. the Mrs to buy a new toy so stated this was just a kite that came in for me to test quickly. The kite looks SOO cool in the air for starters as mentioned by friends and my engineer flysurfer kiter bud (like foils so he can ride his motorcycle to the spot) He thought it looked very good in profile and aspect ratio with good build, etc. The initial session looked like it would be 11 m escape but took out the 13m as the wind spooled down quickly and did not think I would have time to fix up the old arc bar and prep in time it was baby duty again. The wind was very light but I had to at least set up the kite and put it up on a five year old long arc bar with long throw and 27m lines. The long throw allows sudden shifts in rear line tension and immediately will expose any shortcomings in stability of an arc as well as to provide a heap of extra depower. A bunch of snow/water foil kiters from Colorado happened to be driving by, and stoped as they saw the new charger kite flying from PCH and stopped to ask about the new kite. The rest of the gang was curious as well as I had taught them on arcs years ago. FIrst off, the kite is VERY. VERY stable on launch and at zenith. Line length makes up all the difference as I have been using 20m lines for years now and though on the 27 m, the kite still turned quite well on standard strap setting and developed enough power even in those conditions where everyone had come in off of the water to give it a shot on the water. This was of course with some good ribbing from the buds on the beach. The light wind ability to turn the soft structure of and arc usually quickly demonstrates to me the overall ability of the kite in fluky conditions. The kite turned and pulled well in constant kite loops in both directions to get me up in going in tiny gusts in between the nada wind lulls. Surprised i could get up and go at all on it as was the gang on the beach. So what is the advantage to this over our tube kites asked one old arc student who is now relative pro on tubes. We know that answer and he just smiled and said, " Bet the thing has amazing jumping and hang time and easy to use in all conditions right? Yep, pretty much what the gang has been reporting on this one.. The straps were all factory settings and the construction looks good all round on kite. It feels like good grunt and pop with beach jumps and light wind spinning of kite to get going.
Launched and landed it a dozen times and it preinflated quickly and held it's shape very well. The kite does feel rigid for an arc as previously mentioned and excited to try it with tightened shoulder straps and shorter lines.
As the kite is so huckable, it should perform well on 20 or 23 m. Don't think it will pinch the canopy too much. Felt so good to just get under the new arc. It was like kiting with an old friend. Good to hear all good things from around the globe on the new 15 m Charger and other sizes in testing. I found that the early 15c1 I had was one of the more stable ones, were as the other size C1s were in general good kites. At this point, I think with the new charger, they did come up with a kite all arcers will love. YEAH ARC!! Thanks for all the reports on your sessions on the new charger gang. This one really seems to be a great one Arcspearo. Have not done water re- launch yet but clam test on beach easily reopened. Have you tried on 20m or 21 yet with the 15 anyone. Prlobably 23 a great compromise.
Thanks for all the contributions everyone
MonkeyAir

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » May 23rd, 2013, 12:03 am

Heading home from Santa Cruz to San Francisco stopped by Waddell for a last sesh. With the wind gusting 15/30mph and only two riders out and no locals should have given it a miss. None the less the last chance to ride I rigged up the Ch2 15. Thought it might not get me through the big shore break it pitched me down the beach when I yanked it up. Despite getting tumbled and twisted in the drag the kite stayed up....a tribute to its stability...

On the water the head high waves pummeled me. It seemed that at the point I needed power to push through a breaking wave the lines would go slack. In the washing machine more than any time I can remember I dumped the Ch2 15 several times and the first time I'd gotten it wet. Twice the kite got tumbled and twisted by breaking waves. Given my recent bad relaunch experiences with the Ch1 15 I didn't think I would get it back up. None the less both time the Ch2 15 tacoed and with a yank on the top lines it popped back up. The second time I though it remarkable that it relaunched. It had tumbled in the waves for a while and had taken on a lot of water. Took a few minutes to drain. Not long afterwards I turned the kite up in a nothing wind only to have a huge gust pitch me downwind 30 yards. Thought it time to come in and I did.

Now from personal experience in fairly extreme conditions I can say from personal experience that the Ch2 15 relaunches just fine...

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby Airxpress » May 23rd, 2013, 11:05 pm

relaunching the Charger 2013 - size 10 @ 2.15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTU5E6T ... 3wMzJVzl7e
Rudolf - Peter Lynn Teamrider
Airxpress

Postby Kamikuza » May 24th, 2013, 12:24 am

Couldn't get the 3:07 video to work, but the next one is impressive - looks like a boosting machine! Hmm....
Kamikuza

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » May 24th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Kamikuza,

Can confirm Ch2 a "boosting machine" with more pop by far than any other ARC going back to the original S Arcs..

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby arcspearo » May 24th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Appreciate the responses. Sounds great! I am will plan for an 18m 12m CH2 combo for the move to Pensacola, FL.
Any arc riders are in the Florida Panhandle? -T.oday
arcspearo

Return to On the Water