Speed...F Arc v P2 v Ram Air

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Speed...F Arc v P2 v Ram Air

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » July 3rd, 2013, 8:03 pm

While certainly an esoteric issue for us committed Arc water kite users have followed up with the PL rep for USA on relative speeds of PL high aspect kites. Went to him because he has access to the entire line of PL products. In an attempt to set the world land speed record with kites has done 90+ mph (145 Kph) with a specially designed buggy on a dried lake bed near Las Vegas, Nevada in the USA.

To my question on the relative speeds of the F Arc versus the P2 with a buggy he replied that the higher aspect F Arc probably faster with a higher top end, but the P2 accelerated faster. He also said that he thought the latest super high aspect bridled foils from Peter Lynn faster than either the F Arc or the P2.

Perhaps most interesting of the thoughts from the USA rep was learning that he was giving up on foils and switching to LEI's. The reason he was changing related to the difficulties on launching foils in winds over 50 mph. This comment brought to mind all the bow ties I made launching the F Arc and a memorable butt slide launching a 15m P2 in high winds. Effectively I think he was telling me something we all already know. Specifically in nuclear winds anything you can hold on to without getting launched into space will work. The rep told me that he had in fact cut loose an LEI in winds approaching 60 mph.

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Re: Speed...F Arc v P2 v Ram Air

Postby Kamikuza » July 4th, 2013, 4:24 am

Yes, interesting.

I "cut loose" an LEI as a storm front came through. I wonder if a foil would have tumbled so far downwind...

Oh wait - my P4 19 cleared 20m high trees and drifted over a roam, some houses and power lines before coming to rest over 300m downwind from where it started :lol:
Kamikuza

Re: Speed...F Arc v P2 v Ram Air

Postby Pogibro » October 8th, 2013, 11:16 am

I had somebody tangle with me and I cut loose a Venom 14 in about 20 mph wind. It was retrieved by a boat about a mile away. I was happy to have it returned to me even if it was a spaghetti mess.
Pogibro

Return to On the Water