SW Ontario - Huron - help needed

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

SW Ontario - Huron - help needed

Postby tungsten » July 27th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Hi guys, I'm traveling Canada right now - great country, great people - and found out my cousin lives in a kiter's paradise without knowing. The chap lives near Exeter ON, 20 minutes from Grand Bend on lake Huron.

I also found out he tried to learn kiting at one time, he's got a couple unused 2005 Best Yargas in his shed, an old bar and a way-too-small TT. Apparently he knows how to fly his trainer kite quite well, does some land kiting on skis in wintertime with a 2m HQ of some sorts, and would love to get on the water besides kite skiing on those massive farm grounds. Not many kiters around where he lives though, in fact he doesn't know anyone.

So. I thought "ARC" straight away, surfboard / skim, new bar, and a helping hand from fellow kiters to make sure he gets the basics right. He's sailing a Hobie Cat on Huron, so it's not going to be from scratch.

Is there anybody in the region who could give me a pointer? I'd like to get new gear for him and hook him up with the right people.

cheers, tungsten
tungsten

Re: SW Ontario - Huron - help needed

Postby markite » July 29th, 2013, 1:35 am

Nice! Hey Tungsten I'm about 1 1/2 hrs from Exeter and was just camping last week at the prov park running south from Grand Bend. There are a number of people that kite Grand Bend but the most popular spot is just a bit further south at Kettle Point - entering from Ipperwash beach area. On a good day there may be 30 or more people riding there. From the beach at Kettle the launch is fairly shallow and then as you get further out or angle to toward ipperwash beach you can get monsterous waves with the right wind. then there are quite a few places as you go north on lake Huron with Oliphant (just north of Sauble being a huge shallow bay with flat water so a great learning location because you need to go at least a couple hundred yards to get to waist deep.

Anyway i've also been a Peter Lynn dealer for many years (even before arcs came out) so shoot me an email and I can get you more info on things.
It was a great day down on lake Erie today (normally in the summer with a SW I'll be on Erie - more west and NW then it's over to Huron).

How long are you in the area?

email: windspeedkites at sympatico.ca

Mark
markite

Postby tungsten » July 31st, 2013, 3:56 pm

Great news Mark! I've been round the corner of where you live, just last weekend - St. Jacob's farmer's market, you will know this one for sure. I just arrived in Spain yesterday, so now that I know you're around, I'll hook up with you next time I come over. Send you a mail. cheers, tungsten
tungsten

Postby tungsten » August 3rd, 2013, 9:24 pm

Sent you PM Mark,

cheers, tungsten
tungsten

Return to On the Water