Any suggestion on how to make a CH1 15 safe once for all??

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Re: Any suggestion on how to make a CH1 15 safe once for all

Postby tungsten » September 6th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Well, My CH1 15 is sweet now. Not perfect like the CH2, but sweet. My braids were OK, but I did those mods to balance it in a new way and dumb it down for strapless. The leach line changes the balance A LOT and gives new characteristics to the kite. Plus heavier spars. plus bridle. plus a couple shortened braids.

My CH1 12 is safe and OK balanced but not yet sweet. Sweet is when the kite feels as natural as a pair of old shoes. Would take me a good hour of finding the right adjustment, which I didn't get around doing because when it blew I just went out with my sweet SYN12 :D

I'm off to Tarifa tomorrow for a couple days, see if I grab some proper sessions on the CH2 12.

Mikey, your bridles have to wait, I have to finish a SUP for the missus. Other wise no problem, I just take mine off and make a copy.
tungsten

Postby Ismo » September 6th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Timothy Grossnickle wrote: Have also switched the bridle on the Ch1 15 from two pulleys to one using measurements taken off a Syn 15. This didn't change the performance of the Ch1 15 much as most of the problems continued.

Last autumn when my ch1-19 started collapsing I did that Tungstens middle strap shortening and Tungstens briddle. After that kite was usable again, but far from great. So I tested it with synergy bridle and it didn't help either.

Before bridle modifications I believed that the bridle was reason for my ch1-19 random turning near top end. It have done that from new, but it wasn't that bad as it is now. Now it turns randomly even with no pulleys in bridle. When wind is near top end and I have used 1/2 or more from depower strap I never know how much kite turns when I turn bar and try to turn kite 5 degrees, it can turn couple degrees, 20 degrees or even 45 degrees.

Winds are here gusty and I have liked arcs because those are so stable and foreseeable. Before ch1-19 I really never looked my kite, I always know and feld where and which position kite was. But with ch1-19 I don't feel/know it in high winds, and I must look.

But I bought ch2-22.5 and I'll get it monday :-) so I can use it and when it's too big I can swap to ch1-15 which is still working good.
Kites: Charger2 22.5, Charger2 18, Charger1 15, Charger2 12, Venom2 10, Venom1 8, Charger1 6, S-Arc 460, T-Arc 1.3
Ismo

Postby Ian Beasley » September 26th, 2013, 4:23 pm

The 15m is definitely very sensitive to the spars flex, length & weight, we did a quick repair replacing a broken spar with a doubled run of Decathlon tent poles taped together with insulating tape, this made taccoing worse
Ian Beasley

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » September 26th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Ismo,

Would love to hear your impressions of your new Ch2 22.5. Love mine. It gets me on the water on those marginal days when I'd otherwise be sitting on the beach. Have rigged mine with a long Y line setup and wider bar which the kite seems to like.

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby Mikey » September 27th, 2013, 10:33 am

Ismo wrote:
Before bridle modifications I believed that the bridle was reason for my ch1-19 random turning near top end. It have done that from new, but it wasn't that bad as it is now. Now it turns randomly even with no pulleys in bridle. When wind is near top end and I have used 1/2 or more from depower strap I never know how much kite turns when I turn bar and try to turn kite 5 degrees, it can turn couple degrees, 20 degrees or even 45 degrees

I woundn't say that i'm that bad off. but I sure hunts and sometime is just takes off. There is pobably bar input (happens all very fast), but i seems that in the H20 incidences the kite is loaded ready to fire. At other times a similar "pull" on the bar does not produce nearly the same reaction.

Wollo, winters comming now so i'll be patient ( and generous :-). will also remeassure and leach line.

Ismo wrote: Winds are here gusty and I have liked arcs because those are so stable and foreseeable. Before ch1-19 I really never looked my kite, I always know and feld where and which position kite was. But with ch1-19 I don't feel/know it in high winds, and I must look.

I also have to look at lot more now too!

Ian, thanks for the input!

Ciao,

Mike
Mikey

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » September 27th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Mike and Ian,

Thought of your comments about instability of Ch1's having fun riding the Ch2 22.5 in light winds, no whitecaps and small rollers on the Gulf. Think the stump puller Ch2 22.5 the most stable Arc ever going back to the S Arcs with the smaller Ch2's equally so. After many hours of effort and long swims I've given up on trying to fix Ch1 15 and 19. Hope you can beat up your local distributor for a discount on a Ch2 and start having fun again....

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Previous

Return to On the Water