how to toeside with Venom II 13, Mako 140*40

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

how to toeside with Venom II 13, Mako 140*40

Postby tim » September 14th, 2014, 10:05 am

Two days in a row, out on Ocean Rodeo Mako 140*40 with my Venom II 13 (too much breeze for my 1.9 Charger 15).
Yesterday 10-13 metres a second (way overpowered in the gusts :o ), today 8-9 metres a second (powered and comfortable :) ).
Every time I started riding toeside these past two days, Venom II 13 went into autozenith mode.
I ended up having to use two hands to fly the wing down to where I needed it, so I could start edging against it properly to drive down the line.
I tried keeping my hand on the opposite side of the bar, instead of just having my fingers either side of the chicken loop, but ended up being too heavy handed with the steering. The two-handed approach was a smoother ride.
I wear a seat harness so I don't get the usual pivot from harness slipping around to the other side.

It is early in the season: May to August, three days kiting. September, Day Four.
If anyone has any tips on how to overcome this problem, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance!

tim
tim

Re: how to toeside with Venom II 13, Mako 140*40

Postby tungsten » September 15th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Hi Tim, this is normal when you're a beginner. Going toe side, you do not edge as good as going heel side. Thus you ride slightly downwind towards the kite, which the ARC uses as an excuse to drift upwards.

Keep at it, crossing the hand over to the upwind side of the bar as you described is a good idea when you ride toe side one handed. Keep the kite firmly low and work on your toe side stance. Water time will fix this for you.
tungsten

Re: how to toeside with Venom II 13, Mako 140*40

Postby tim » September 24th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Thanks for this advice Tungsten. I suspected the problem was partly not enough water time: kiting 7 days in five months meant all sorts of basic skills were being re-learned once the wind started up again in September.

Sometimes the autozenith was useful. Jumping to toeside to chase down a swell and getting to the top of the swell with the kite@12, ready for a power stroke to head down the line, was almost auto-pilot bliss. One hand on the upwind side of the bar feels weird but it looks like I need to learn to be less heavy-handed as I try to get used to that grip.

Typhoon 16 was on track to bring a few days of good wind before the weekend but it was downgraded today to a low pressure system ;-( Anyway might be still be enough wind to get out tomorrow and be powered up toeside.

Thanks again.
cheerio
tim
tim

Return to On the Water