Phantom 2 feedback?

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Phantom 2 feedback?

Postby lofted » October 21st, 2014, 7:11 am

Hi everyone,
Been a longtime since I looked in here, but thinking of upgrading to P2's both for water and starting snow-kiting next season.
Wondered if anyone has been using Phantom 2's on water? Ive done a search, but since 2012 I can't find anything much at all on the web - reviews, excited chatter, etc., maybe kitesurfing peeps have all gone to pump-ups???
Any thoughts appreciated.
lofted

Re: Phantom 2 feedback?

Postby arcspearo » October 21st, 2014, 10:30 am

The majority of the kiteboarding community believes that foils are for land and inflatables are for water. Kite boarding shops preach "don't go out on something that you can't float back to shore on".
Good things come to those who wait? No. Good things come to those who work their tails off and never give up.
arcspearo

Postby lofted » October 21st, 2014, 11:58 pm

Yes, I guess thats true, even if plenty of air inside for the kite to float on the water a long while.
There's a bunch of PeterLynn LEI's in the second hand market, but no Phantom's or Chargers, at least here in Australia. Maybe a lot less demand since PL started making Lei's.

I had an early Phantom, and have owned arcs, venoms, and a synergy all for water. PL technical stuff says that the Phantom2 is fast flying on apparent speed, does that mean you have to keep working the kite to get the most speed? Does that mean I'd be better off with a larger size than usual for water use?
lofted

Postby Hardwater Kiter » October 24th, 2014, 2:11 pm

The PH2 is a fairly hi AR kite and does a good job of building apparent wind, or to put it simply getting more power and speed out of the wind you have by virtue of being in motion. It likes to sit more forward in the window and offers more speed than raw grunt. Once you get it going it goes, very little need to work it much if at all if you have enough wind. On the water, with the lack of raw power compared to other Arcs, the bigger the better with the amount of drag you get on water. Even in the bigger sizes the kite is pretty nimble, nimble enough that a person like myself, a total hack at jumping, can boost and kiteloop the 24m in moderately light winds. The 18m seems to be the sweet spot in the size/power/turn dept. IMO. although on snow the 15m is my go to.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby KiteForce » October 25th, 2014, 12:31 pm

I have been surfing with my Phantoms this summer and I really like it.
They want so accelerate so much, that even when you mess up your waterstart (by not diving the kite intothe powerzone but rather to the side of the window) it still pulls you through and gets you riding.
Allthough it has high AR the stability is better than say, a synergy.

The phantom keeps up with vapors in buggying aswell!
Phantom2's: 6m, 9m, 12m, 15m, 18m, 24m
FOR SALE: Vortex 12m - Synergy 8m - Charger 6m
XXtreme APexx Buggy
KiteForce

Postby lofted » October 27th, 2014, 1:17 am

Great to know there is enough power with the added drag in water, sounds like a step up in kite size is OK, and you just need to fly them more aggressively... what I am used to anyway.

Received your email HardwaterKiter, thanks, interested in second hand Phantom2's.
Thanks for feedback!
lofted

Return to On the Water