Stainless ferules for Zippers

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Stainless ferules for Zippers

Postby eightfootplus » October 25th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Hi All, I haven't been here for a while,

I have an old VII , a Syn, and 2 chargers, all of which have issues each off season because of the zippers corroding up. I got sick of replacing zippers on the Venom and now I oil each kite just before the off season with a marine anti corrosion spray. I have to store them with zippers half open and check them half way through winter, its a real pain. I store them with zippers half open so I can pour boiling water on them from the inside and get some wiggle space.

Needless to say all my kite bags are all cactus and the zipps full corroded, who washes kite bags!.

Does VO have a suggestion box? I'd like to suggest making the ferules stainless or at least plastic, Perhaps they have done this on the Charger II? . Also while I am at it, perhaps carbon spars that don't corrode and snap as well.

Its not rocket science, a kite that lasts longer has better second hand value, and a strong second market helps support the primary market, any car company knows this. Not that anyone flies PL in Sydney any more.
eightfootplus

Re: Stainless ferules for Zippers

Postby aatamian » October 26th, 2014, 11:15 am

And bigger/longer velcro tabs for the launch assistants. I always replace them with 4 cmx 1.5 cm ones. They hold perfect even in big wind when the kite is flapping and release just when needed...
aatamian

Postby tungsten » October 26th, 2014, 9:10 pm

yeah longer velcros is a classic mod and a good one too. RE: spars I changed to 14-16mm bamboo years ago and never looked back (14-16mm is the thickness at the base). Can't kill those, and you get them dead cheap in garden shops. Have not had problems with zippers yet.
tungsten

Postby eightfootplus » October 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Hi Tungsten,

The zippers and salt water don't go well after a season or two, they paint wears off the inside of the ferule and then they start to corrode up with white powder similar to a battery terminal on your car, then they bind to the zip and you cant move them at all, pouring hot water works to dissolve the corrosion but after a while the ferule snaps off and then you need to match it with one from a sewing shop. The PL ferules are back to front compared to a normal zipper and so you need to lace the ferule in upside down so the pull tag is on the inside of the kite. A plastic or stainless ferule would be an instant solution.

How do you go with the flex of the bamboo rods? especially with the bridles pulling in the middle of the rod?

I have used tent poles in the past, but I have noticed that they flex a lot more than the original Aluminium rods so I have reverted back to the original spars.

I am thinking now of old ski stocks! but I will try the bamboo
eightfootplus

Postby aatamian » October 27th, 2014, 10:06 am

Yes zippers corrode if you leave your kite alone for some time. Also the zipper itself becomes less airtight with the time as the plastic coating goes away. Was thinking of replacing zippers with velcros (like on the first Arcs) and put some air traps behind like on the LE air vents.
Also bamboo is excellent, provided that you take at least 16mm as Tungsten says, they will not bend. Tried with smaller, flexible stuff before, definitely bad. I had a snapped carbon rod while traveling last week, replaced with a 16mm bamboo stick. Not only it worked perfect but also fixed my autozenith issue, putting the slightly lighter carbon spar on the side it used to drift. No need for top skin tuck anymore.
aatamian

Return to On the Water