Will a Charger 2 15 or 12 jump as high as a G13?

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

Will a Charger 2 15 or 12 jump as high as a G13?

Postby mathomm » November 6th, 2014, 12:17 pm

I am interested in upgrading my kites. Currently riding a Venom 16 and a slightly modified Gorilla 13m and sometimes G10 in supper high winds.
The G13 m is the kite of choice when kite surfing using waves as a launch pad. I can typically out jump the height of most inflatable rides. Whereas the venom 16m jumps are not as high and float probably too much. Both kites turn very very slowly which is not good for transition or wave riding. But they don't fall out of the sky when you blow a big jump and land relatively softly as long as you keep the kite above you head, even if you forget to redirect properly.
Since I like to jump as high as possible, I demo'd an epic screamer 12m inflatable. The problem I have with this kite is it does jump high, but you land hard and I hindenburged the kite twice on large jumps due to pour redirection of the kite. The kite went through the lines, so had to go in twice to fix this kite. On the second time in, I just swapped back to my G13, and could jump as high or higher and land softer. But the kite doesn't turn, where as epic screamer turned really fast and flue fast. Then the next session on the epic screamer I pumped it and the leading edge exploded on the beach before launch. So I guess that's telling me not to get an inflatable, so I went out on the V16, but again jumps were OK but doesn't turn.
I have watched the promotional videos of the charger 12 from peterlynn, and thought this video was very ordinary, jumps where not that big, and I can see why no one where I kite on the east coast of Australia would ever buy a Peterlynn Arc Kite to kite surf. Whereas if you watch any other kite surfing brand, the promotional video are awesome. Guys on inflatables are getting really high doing crazy tricks. So It just didn't convince my to buy a Peterlynn Charger 2 if I like doing big jumps, and I should switch to an inflatable. Please convince my that the new charger will allow my to jump as high as a good high aspect inflatable kite, but hopefully I should be able to land softer on the charger, as the inflatable's seem all about precise redirection.
mathomm

Re: Will a Charger 2 15 or 12 jump as high as a G13?

Postby zauberflo » November 6th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Hi! I am using CH 2 15 and 12. They are my first arcs - before i used tube kites and flysurfer foils. Trust me - the charger jumps very high. Hangtime is better tha a regular c or open-c kite but not as good as a high aspect ratio foil or racekite. Greetings Florian
zauberflo

Postby steuu » November 12th, 2014, 2:45 pm

mathomm wrote: Please convince my that the new charger will allow my to jump as high as a good high aspect inflatable kite, but hopefully I should be able to land softer on the charger, as the inflatable's seem all about precise redirection.

I don't want to convince you about nothing :D
but a couple of time happened me with the ChargerII 15 to jump much higher than expected...for sure it needs a technique that is closer to an inflatable both for jumping and for landing... due to its turning speed

Let us know if u manage to try a ch2
steuu

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » November 27th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Agree with Steuu. Ch2 15 boosts better than any previous Arc. Loved G13 and rode if for five years, but the Ch2 15 boosts way higher. Of all the things I like about the Ch2 15 its the boosting that I like the best....
Timothy Grossnickle

Postby mathomm » December 9th, 2014, 12:36 am

Thanks for the replys. I have gone all out and purchased two new charger 2s 12m and 15m. Hopefully they will not disappoint. It was a really hard decision, as I could not recommend these style of kites to any of my friends as the promotional material for inflatables is so much better, and nearly every one in Australia rides inflatables. The only reason I purchased these ones is becuase the inflatble I demo'd blow up after inflating, and the my current g10,13 and v16 have lastest so long, and I'm use to riding this style of kite. I will report back if I can jump higher then G13, hopefully they should out jump the v16 and g10 as these kites don't jump that high. Any way here is a video of the last time I may use my Venom 16m, jumping over my friends in the surf, did'n't land many as it was not my preferred jumping direction and the wind stop at the beach due to trees. See: https://vimeo.com/113656295
mathomm

Postby tim » December 11th, 2014, 11:46 am

thanks for the vid Michael
with snow forecast here for the day after tomorrow and a new wettie ready to be tested
it was great to see V16, clear water and blue skies
to get in the mood
:-)
Hope you are enjoying the new quiver!
tim

Postby mathomm » December 23rd, 2014, 12:17 am

Ok I have tested both the Charger 2 15m and 12m I am 77kg riding a 132 twin tip. The 15m does jump as high maybe higher then the 13 Guerilla in 20knot winds off small waves and has about the same float. It has slightly more low end then the Venom 16m, maybe the same top but not sure because I don't compare and turns faster as long as you use the bridle settings closer to the leading edge, not of the tips. Even though in the manual it said you would get more bar pressure, I found it had less bar pressure while turning when the bridle was more active. Overall I am happy with the kite, and the 15m seems like it will by my 90% kite. The 12m seems small and doesn't have as much float in jumps, so will only use it in 20knots + which is rare. I think Peterlynn needs to work on some more vidoes using the charger 2 on water in high winds to show off its boosting, which is pretty good. Not sure how high I can get but a friend said it was as high as a telegraph pole, so bewteen 5 - 8m high, just need someone to capture a video at the right time which is hard to do. As for water relauanching I have already crashed the 15m kite full speed into the water, due to stuffing up and pulling the wrong hand while upside down in the water. Both times I was able to get the kite back in the sky bet really still don't know extactly what to do after 10 years of flying arcs, I pulled some lines to get the kite in taco, then just let go of the bar and back stroked, for a while nothing seems to happen, then it just relaunched, so I guess its Ok but slower then an inflatable.
I am thinking now that maybe I should get the 18m as well for lighter days, basically would like to get into more airstyle tricks.
mathomm

Postby steuu » December 23rd, 2014, 8:04 am

I'm happy you are enjoying your new kites!

mathomm wrote: I think Peterlynn needs to work on some more vidoes using the charger 2 on water in high winds to show off its boosting, which is pretty good. Not sure how high I can get but a friend said it was as high as a telegraph pole, so bewteen 5 - 8m high, just need someone to capture a video at the right time which is hard to do. As for water relauanching I have already crashed the 15m kite full speed into the water, due to stuffing up and pulling the wrong hand while upside down in the water. Both times I was able to get the kite back in the sky bet really still don't know extactly what to do after 10 years of flying arcs, I pulled some lines to get the kite in taco, then just let go of the bar and back stroked, for a while nothing seems to happen, then it just relaunched, so I guess its Ok but slower then an inflatable.

Well PL definitely needs some better advertising on Arcs... but apparently they're not much interested in ARCs anymore :(

mathomm wrote:I am thinking now that maybe I should get the 18m as well for lighter days, basically would like to get into more airstyle tricks.

Well... this I don't know... I didn't tried a ch2 18 so far... but if it's live venoms... the 16m has not much less lowend... but it's much more fast and enjoyable!
steuu

Postby Airxpress » March 31st, 2015, 9:55 am

Working on better stuff, but here's a small vid.. https://youtu.be/OaTU5E6TH8A
Rudolf - Peter Lynn Teamrider
Airxpress

Postby tungsten » April 1st, 2015, 10:14 pm

Nice vid, but it's from May 2013. I'd also be interested if PL are following up on ARCs?
tungsten

Postby CTB » April 2nd, 2015, 8:26 pm

this was on the 15m ch2

CTB

Postby Airxpress » June 22nd, 2015, 9:55 am

Rudolf - Peter Lynn Teamrider
Airxpress

Return to On the Water