WARNING!!! Check Charger Spars for Wear...

Kitesurfing/Kiteboarding on Liquid H2O

WARNING!!! Check Charger Spars for Wear...

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » March 27th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Some time ago a spar snapped on my CH2 22. I thought perhaps it broke due to a crash, even though I couldn't recall ever crashing it or even landing it hard. Last night the spar on a well used CH1 19 snapped. Spars on both kites snapped while launching. The kites pinwheeled dangerously when the spars broke at the first connection link in the collapsible tent pole setup.

After the CH2 22 break I replaced both spars with solid sail battens and have incurred no further problems. Today I was doing the same for the CH1 19 when I noticed both of the original spars had cracks at the first connection in the collapsible tent poles. On broke yesterday the others all had cracks at both ends and appeared ready to break. Needless to say I replaced both spars with solid ones.

While other similar spars haven't broken on smaller PL kites, I'm thinking that the PL tent poles simply can't take the strain of the longer spars turning ever bigger kites. This leads me to make the strong suggestion to anyone owning larger PL kits and even smaller ones to check your aluminum tent pole spars for wear and cracks around the first connection link in the spar. Both of mine broke there and the others on the CH1 19 had developed small lengthwise cracks.

Needless to say the design defect of breaking spars needs to be addressed by PLK. Would appreciate e mail address of someone at PLK to send pictures of the breakage and wear on the collapsible spars. In the meantime I'd strongly recommend checking the factory spars regularly for wear and cracks around the first connection.

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Re: WARNING!!! Check Charger Spars for Wear...

Postby tim » March 28th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Thanks for this Tim
I recycled some windsurfing battens a few years back after I noticed a split forming in the joins of my Venom II 13 spars. For those of us who leave the spars in because we want to minimize set-up and pack down time, it is too easy to forget to check the wear and tear on the spars. Nice heads up.

cheerio
tim
tim

Postby tungsten » April 1st, 2015, 10:21 pm

Best stuff I found so far and I'm using on all sizes ARC for years is bamboo 14/16mm. That would be the thickness at the thick end, they come in 2m rods at garden shops for dirt cheap. Cut to length, add a blob of hot glue on either side, and off you go. I have yet to break one, and I stamp on them, leave them in the kite all the time, they get wet, ... can't kill the stuff.
tungsten

Postby patfrap » April 27th, 2015, 4:13 pm

hello, excuse me for my broken English but I happened the same with my new load 22.5 and new slats without me to pilot error ....... just by browsing, fortunately not far the edge at that time!
patfrap

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » July 20th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Recently broke another spar on new Ch2 10 sending it pinwheeling into the surf. The fact that spars are breaking on new Ch2's at with Patrap and to me twice reinforces the need to replace the stock PLK tent poles. Like Tungsten's solution of the bamboo poles if you can find them. I've used 1/2" plastic coated metal gardening poles to replace PLK's aluminum tent poles.

Overall, am very upset that PLK doesn't address this serious safety issue.

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Return to On the Water