In the woods

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

In the woods

Postby arcuser » October 11th, 2010, 10:23 am

Can boarding happen in a small spot enclosed by trees? :?: Gonna give it a go anyway :D
Flying foils and arcs
arcuser

Re: In the woods

Postby Kamikuza » October 11th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Yes, there's a Flysurfer video of a guy making his way through tree ... Vimeo IIRC but it seems my memory is failing so don't trust me on that one :lol:
Kamikuza

Postby zerogee » October 12th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Trees and obstacles in close proximity to a kite at ground level or in the air can be hit by turbulance along with the natural gustiness of the wind. You can have nasty rotors coming off trees from upwind, from downwind, and even side wind. Makes for unpredicatable ground handling and flight. There can be wind shadows too. It can suck big time!

Good Luck.
"SYNERGY... the interaction of two or more forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects."
zerogee

Postby Bladerunner » October 14th, 2010, 2:55 am

Never go in farther than you are willing to walk out . ( without your kite ? )

I say it's static electricity or something but I swear trees and kites have a polar attraction? :P
Arcs In my bag : Synergy - 15m, 10m , Phantom - 18m, F-arc 1200 , S-arc 460, T-arc 1.3

I Ride: Skis, Coyote Rollerblades, ATB , Buggy and Surf ( in that order )
Bladerunner

Postby Hardwater Kiter » October 24th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Yes and no. If we're talking about an enclosed, tight area where you're getting rotors off the trees and whatever other obsticals I would say that it probably isn't going to go well. If you're talking about areas where it's tight but you have open spaces then there's a better possibilty.

I know the video that Kami refers to and that is more a situation of squeezing between fairly sparse tree line. I'm thinking more in terms of squeezing through tree lined corridors. I fly in a few places that have some pretty tight squeezes to get to more open area and the ease of getting through depends heavily on wind direction and velocity. If the wind is going straight down or just slightly off angle and you have a lot of precision with your kite placement (being comfortable with your wingtips about 1-2 feet from touching branches) then it can be relatively easy. You have to keep in mind that if passing into such an area from and open area your wind speed will change a lot due to the venturi effect. If there is more crosswind you'll be dealing with more rotors, holes and shadows and it will be a lot harder. You may be flying along fine, powered, with your wing a couple of feet from the tree top and hit a shadow or hole and have the kite fall out of the sky with no room to make a recovery. But I guess that's what makes it interesting.

Some of the channels we ride from lake to lake are too tight to bring the kite down from the zenith so you have to get a running start and nurse it through to get to the other side. As a general rule I would not make a habit of flying in any place that has a high probabilty of destroying the kite under "normal" flying conditions.

If it's an enclosed area, my bet is that it will pretty much suck much like Kami's memory :D
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby Kamikuza » October 27th, 2010, 7:57 am

Ooh you little whippersnapper! Damn kids! :lol:
Kamikuza

Postby Cloudsfan » October 27th, 2010, 8:13 pm

http://www.vimeo.com/9964835 might be the vid you're refering to. Great guy btw, I'm always looking forward watching his next vimeo upload ;)
Cloudsfan

Postby arcuser » May 1st, 2011, 8:33 pm

so finally went to a spot pretty open but also little enclosed by trees, not even high trees. definetely too much turbulence. on launch kite was pushed downwards by the turbulence making it difficult to get it up. once flying it flew well pretty ok, however looking at how the kite responded i decided it was no good to stay and went back. too bad, still no decent spot around home
Flying foils and arcs
arcuser

Return to On the Land