Spar caps

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

Spar caps

Postby Cloudsfan » January 3rd, 2011, 5:10 pm

Hello
I haven't had the case myself yet but I've seen it in flesh and want to avoid it : how to prevent spars going through their small rubber caps ?
Or is there anything obvious to replace these caps with ?
Or do you just wrap them in duct tape ?
TIA
Cloudsfan

Re: Spar caps

Postby BeamerBob » January 3rd, 2011, 5:38 pm

Coastal Wind Sports offers replacement spars that have a solid Aluminum cap on each end which should reduce the spar end cutting the spar pocket on your kites. They are affordable compared to OEM spars. Not sure you can get the caps to retrofit your existing spars since the diameters might not match properly.
Peter Lynn Venom II 8m, Phantom 9m, 15m, 18m, Synergy 10m, 15m
Ivanpah buggy
Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
US-88 Bob Muse
BeamerBob

Postby zerogee » January 3rd, 2011, 6:17 pm

Has anyone ever contacted Coastal to see if there caps would fit the OEM spars and if they are available on thier own?

This is what I came up with. It's not as refined as the caps from Coastal but I think it should do the trick.
http://www.arcusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=183#p989
"SYNERGY... the interaction of two or more forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects."
zerogee

Postby Cloudsfan » January 3rd, 2011, 8:19 pm

Thanks a lot for the info and the link to the thread I had overlooked.
Unfortunately I'm in Europe so importing from Coastal Wind Sports is not such a good option for us due to taxes & shipping. Perhaps in Europe we should look at http://forum.kitecrowd.com/beach-zone/peter-lynn-arcs-all-spars-compact-stick-117788.html
Yet I can certainly find an equivalent to the bonded sealing washers, a pretty neat idea.
Cheers
Cloudsfan

Postby Hardwater Kiter » January 3rd, 2011, 10:54 pm

I've used duct tape in a pinch and I can't beleive how well it holds up. You just have to keep and eye on it from time to time. A metal cap would probably be better but not as readily available as duct tape.

EVERYONE LOVE DUCT TAPE.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby acampbell » January 5th, 2011, 3:53 am

Hey Gang
My spares are just a hair over 1mm smaller in diameter that the OEM PL spars and the wall thickness is about the same, so my rounded aluminum end caps will not fit the original PL spars. My components are made by Easton, a well known OEM supplier to the camping industry and US military.
I can often ship them at just under or just over one pound, so US International Priority Mail can be like $20-25. I am known to the local post office as a retailer so I cannot always say "Gift" or "sample" but I can dumb down the price to the point that customs are negligible. In fact the customs code for kites is treated favorably in most countries and if I mark it as a replacement part for kites then I think it is OK but I cannot guarantee. I have shipped to Europe, Japan, AU, and South America.
I have shipped over 100 sets and the only failures I have heard of were in cases where the kite was otherwise massively damaged (and I replaced the sticks out of heartbroken sympathy).
Sorry if this sounds like spam .
Thanks Bobby for pointing out the post.
Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
...where life is better when it blows!
acampbell

Postby geokite » January 5th, 2011, 5:27 pm

I've used rounded wood plugs from home depot, underneath the rubber end caps. They fit well on the stock aluminum sticks. Time will tell, as I haven't crashed yet with them.
Steve Bateman
Arcs: P6,9,12m; Syn8,10,12,15,19m; V2:8m
PL Monster Buggy, 1994 Flexi buggy (original owner), MBS board
Slingshot Glide 149, Litewave 137 Spirit, 2006 Crazy Fly Pro 137x41, 5' Sweet Potato
geokite

Postby daves » January 5th, 2011, 10:51 pm

On the PL spars, remove the bungee keepers. I had one get knocked into the spar and it split the end from the internal force. If you catch the split in time, wrap it with electrical tape and it will be stable.

I bend the bungee cord over the end of the spars and wrap electrical tape around the side and top. Fold a couple layers over to the inside, stretch the cap over and tape it to the spar. I have not had one punch though yet.

I have a set of Angus' spars for my CH12 and they are very high quality replacements; even more compact than PL and the ends are great!
daves

Postby Matt » January 7th, 2011, 4:40 am

I have made my own spar with Easton aluminum tube (0.433" as coastal ), I bought the tube in an online shop specialized in tent supply. The metal end caps are great. I wrote to Easton today, and they supply end caps for 0.490" but only in bulk qty. They say that its available in some tent accessories supplier, I wrote to one but didn't get an answer yet.

Matt
S-Arc 630
Vortex 10
Synergy 15
Matt

Postby acampbell » January 9th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Matt wrote:I have made my own spar with Easton aluminum tube (0.433" as coastal ), I bought the tube in an online shop specialized in tent supply. The metal end caps are great. I wrote to Easton today, and they supply end caps for 0.490" but only in bulk qty. They say that its available in some tent accessories supplier, I wrote to one but didn't get an answer yet.

Matt

Is that Quest Outfitters? they can be a bit slow to respond and it doesn't hurt to bang on the door a few more times. It's where I get my stick components. Their volume is so high with Easton that their retail pricing to me is lower than my wholesale price direct from Easton.
Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
...where life is better when it blows!
acampbell

Postby Matt » January 9th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Quest Outfitter doesn't have end caps for 0.490" pole, in fact I don't think that these caps exist, The spar that I have made before had pieces that came from Quest Outfitter, they effectively have good prices.

Matt
S-Arc 630
Vortex 10
Synergy 15
Matt

Postby Cloudsfan » January 10th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Hello everyone
Thanks for all the help
I ended up going the easy way, I mean buying these : Image
Although they look the same as the original, they're much harder in reality. I'll try these and check now and then ; if needed I might put some washer between the tube and the cap, such as Image
But I do keep for future reference the links provided about replacement spars, not sure I won't need them some day :mrgreen:
Cloudsfan

Postby maddy » January 10th, 2011, 10:06 pm

Cloudsfan wrote:Hello everyone
Thanks for all the help
I ended up going the easy way, I mean buying these .........

same as 8-)
maddy

Postby arcuser » April 20th, 2011, 9:22 pm

after not too many flights one of the end caps got ripped apart by the plastic stopper which holds the elastic cord inside the spar. stopper doesnt fit right over the end of the alu spar but is slightly off center. anyway, i put the cap together inside some duct tape folded over the end of the spar. guess this will stop it from ripping. now only wondering if it will fit and how long it will last because the pockets are pretty narrow.
Flying foils and arcs
arcuser

Postby lejonklou » April 21st, 2011, 12:03 am

I replaced my caps with heat shrink tube of slightly larger diameter than the spar.

Cut off an inch long, put it over the end of the spar with 1/3 of the tube sticking out from the spar end. Heat with a heat gun until it shrinks. While still hot, gently rub the end against a table until it's flat.

It's true the plastic stoppers that hold the elastic cord can crack and go into the tube. Fitting a short piece of shrink tube over it prevents that. This should of course be done before covering the spar end as described above.
Best regards,
Fredrik Lejonklou
Uppsala, Sweden
Chargers 12 and 15 on Navigator bar
Mako original and wide / Snowboard
lejonklou

Return to On the Land