F-Arcs

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

F-Arcs

Postby BeamerBob » January 6th, 2011, 12:29 am

F arcs seem to be talked about some lately. I can see that they are very high AR. LIke Phantom or higher for the 1600. Do they need a different bar setup? Do they respond less to bar input? Seeing the recent video of the f arc on the ice looks like very little bar input and like it makes power even with the bar extended. Maybe the stopper was pulled down on a Navigator bar and that would explain what I was noticing. Any input or experience with these old beauties?
Peter Lynn Venom II 8m, Phantom 9m, 15m, 18m, Synergy 10m, 15m
Ivanpah buggy
Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
US-88 Bob Muse
BeamerBob

Re: F-Arcs

Postby Hardwater Kiter » January 6th, 2011, 1:10 am

My expirience is very limited at this point. I took her out yesterday with my Navi bar and it was not quite right. I static flew her on the Navi over the fall but I had it set up differently somehow and it flew a bit better. I've messed with the bar since then so I can't say that the stock Navi will or won't work. I suspect it works no problem with some minor adjustment at the bar or the kite.

I wanted to work it out today but it was was too windy.

You're right, with the set up I was using yesterday the kite was powered even with the bar out. I didn't have the pigtails that should have been on the 1600 and improvised on the spot. The result was rear lines that are WAAAAAY too long. I think I have it now, just have to change some minor thing. I'm thinking that the LE pigtails have to be at least 2.5-3' long if what was going on at the bar was any indication.

I'm super psyched to be playing with it.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby BeamerBob » January 6th, 2011, 1:29 am

Hardwater Kiter wrote: I'm thinking that the LE pigtails have to be at least 2.5-3' long if what was going on at the bar was any indication.

I'm super psyched to be playing with it.

The arc setup faq says 28.25 inches for the 1600. I'm thinking of getting a 1200 so I'm eager to learn about these graceful swans.
Peter Lynn Venom II 8m, Phantom 9m, 15m, 18m, Synergy 10m, 15m
Ivanpah buggy
Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
US-88 Bob Muse
BeamerBob

Postby Hardwater Kiter » January 6th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Okay Bob, I slapped some longer pigtials on. I can't say that I measured them but they look pretty close to the 28.25" length. I flew the 1600 in light winds and she flew faster and stronger than Big Blue and I have 80lbs on the guy that was flying Big Blue.

I've never seen anything like it. Big Blue is 24m. His top speed today in 7mph winds was 28mph. Me on the F-Arc, 40mph.

The wind never got over 10mph. Barely hung in at 7mph. I've never seen anything like it.

I'll post video later and get the specs on my pigtails.
Hardwater Kiter

Postby gmulvay » October 25th, 2011, 10:22 am

they fly way better with the triangular flaps cut off the wingtips.
gmulvay

Postby Hardwater Kiter » November 9th, 2011, 8:46 pm

The flapping is pretty bad for sure. Any tips as to best elliminate the panels? Just fold over and stitch down? Remove and reinforce the anchor points?

Love the F-Arcs. Would love to ditch the flapping tho.
Hardwater Kiter

Postby zerogee » November 9th, 2011, 10:33 pm

A quick search on the Yahoo group about the flares (this is what those panels are called)...
It seems that the prefered method is to roll it up and tie it, tape it or stitch it. Then use the tabs where the internal webbing meets the corners of the wingtips for your pigtails (if that makes sense??). This is supposed to reduce stalling in lighter winds and eliminate the flapping.

Some have cut away the material and left the webbing. Yields... reduced stalling, and the flapping is replaced with strap buzz (vibration).

But, you can search the old Yahoo group yourself for more insight into the Farc. Search... F-arc flares, F-arc mods, F-arc tips, F-arc info. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/arcusers/
"SYNERGY... the interaction of two or more forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects."
zerogee

Postby gmulvay » November 23rd, 2011, 12:24 am

You can cut the flares right back to the stick, just leave 100mm excess on the 2 straps closest to the trailing edge, tie a knot in these for the back lines to larks head over, use the front ones for less stalling, rear ones for less bar pressure, front line attachment remains the same.
These kites dont have much depower, at the benifit of very high power/sq m.
You dont need much throw in the bar, this helps with not choking them.
In my expirence they go upwind better than anything ive compared them to, including the vapor, only the HI-ARC is in the same league.
They seem to have more float than any other arc, even in the smaller sizes.
Anybody found any other useful mods for F-acs?
The 16 is a bit more useable with the 2 cells either side of the vents removed.
This is how the name came about-
http://www.peterlynnkites.com/news/0112news.htm
gmulvay

Postby andy666 » December 23rd, 2015, 1:15 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried the wedge mod on a f-arc? If so, what were the results?
andy666

Postby aatamian » December 23rd, 2015, 10:44 am

If I remember well, the F were released just after Peter Lynn explained the wedge mod on the Standard Arc (1st Gen).
So I guess they (Chris Brent) took this into account before the final F proto.
Just my 2 cents.

Avo
aatamian

Return to On the Land