Filling your Phanny ?

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

Filling your Phanny ?

Postby Bladerunner » January 9th, 2011, 7:12 pm

I feel like it is " back to the Future " day !

No wind so I took the new 18m Phantom down to the Gym to see how LONG it will take to fill it with a 4D mattress fan. :o

Back to filling the kites from the centre . The Phantom is a step up from the old Farc with the fill zipper and all ! I used to use a ring cut from a pop bottle to help fill my Farc.

I like the 4d fan in so much as it is pretty compact. I see I can use it top top things up. With time. Using it to fill the whole kite will take 1/2 hour out of a session. Space is a constant issue for me. I would prefer to try and avoid a larger fan?

Any tips for filling from the centre in EXTRA low winds ??? Normal winds ?? Farcs?
Arcs In my bag : Synergy - 15m, 10m , Phantom - 18m, F-arc 1200 , S-arc 460, T-arc 1.3

I Ride: Skis, Coyote Rollerblades, ATB , Buggy and Surf ( in that order )
Bladerunner

Re: Filling your Phanny ?

Postby action jackson » January 9th, 2011, 7:41 pm

I use the a/c on my truck. Just close all vents except for one and hold zipper up to the open one. On high it take less than 2 minutes to fill. I have also duct tape a dry vent hose to ac vent so you can move out into a open space......aj
action jackson

Postby acampbell » January 9th, 2011, 8:23 pm

I still use a 6" 12v PC muffin fan and a rechargeable 9v RC Car battery both from Radio Shack, about $30. Just close the zipper around the fan. In less time than it takes to lay out the lines, I can bounce a quarter off the kite. Nice and plump with a high sleep-number!

weighs less than a pound and takes up little space in the bag.
Attachments
Phanny_Phan.jpg
Phanny_Phan.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
...where life is better when it blows!
acampbell

Postby BeamerBob » January 9th, 2011, 8:58 pm

This artificial filling really is an issue for when you can fly the biggest of arcs. I might need to look into this some now.
Peter Lynn Venom II 8m, Phantom 9m, 15m, 18m, Synergy 10m, 15m
Ivanpah buggy
Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
US-88 Bob Muse
BeamerBob

Postby zerogee » January 9th, 2011, 9:00 pm

I use a gas leaf blower when conditions dictate. It's big, it's noisy, and can smell. But, it fills my 15 in less than 30 seconds and it was free. I get a season on a tank of gas (a full year). :)

A couple of other guys had a rechargeable leaf blower. Much smaller, quiet, doesn't smell. Took maybe a couple of minutes to fill thier 19 Venoms with it at full charge. I think they got 2-3 fills on a charge. These were not that powerful but inexpensive $50-$70. They my have more powerful options with better battery performance these days.
"SYNERGY... the interaction of two or more forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects."
zerogee

Postby acampbell » January 9th, 2011, 9:50 pm

BeamerBob wrote:This artificial filling really is an issue for when you can fly the biggest of arcs. I might need to look into this some now.

yes a big issue with the big 18. With the center zipper, it does not conform to the popular rule, "if there is enough wind to fly, there is enough wind to fill quickly".

I need to put wire grill covers on the fan though; the blades hurt the fingers!!
Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
...where life is better when it blows!
acampbell

Postby Hardwater Kiter » January 10th, 2011, 12:36 pm

This is what we use.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... arketID=39

You can take the nozzle off and it's relatively small. Fills a 19m Charger in about 35-40 seconds. We use the 18v version. It clips nicely to the pack and a single charge will fill a 19m about 4-5 times if run down all the way. A low battery inflation takes about 2-3 minutes.

We carry 3 batteries so we never get caught without juice. Batteries are about $35-40 ea. but I bought an 18v cordless drill (which I kinda needed anyway) for $65 and it cam with 2 batteries.

We used to use a leaf blower but the noise and the smell and hauling gas for it was a pain. There was also concern that exposing the kites to petroleum products could have an adverse affect to material integrity after a while.

My .02
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Return to On the Land