How to reach in the Charger closed cells ?

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

How to reach in the Charger closed cells ?

Postby Cloudsfan » January 10th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Hello
Just wondering : imagine I rip the skin somewhere , in an other cell than the three we have direct access to through the zippers.
Imagine I want to put some repair sail tape somewhere inside, a patch too big to go through the small semi-round holes that give way to internal straps.
Is there any other solution than unstitching at the LE ?
Just wondering here but it may happen someday, as it did on a Flysurder I had : with the lattest, there is always a way to reach any cell.
Cloudsfan

Re: How to reach in the Charger closed cells ?

Postby Ismo » January 10th, 2011, 4:16 pm

If the hole is so big that You must put tape inside and outside, then you propably can put the inside tape in the kite using that same hole.

but opening TE is easy, it takes just couple minutes to open it and couple minutes to close it. and I don't use sewingmachine.
Kites: Charger2 22.5, Charger2 18, Charger1 15, Charger2 12, Venom2 10, Venom1 8, Charger1 6, S-Arc 460, T-Arc 1.3
Ismo

Postby Cloudsfan » January 10th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Clerver I actually had thought about it this way :lol:
I guess you reuse the previous holes and sew by hand where the thread was ? Am I right in thinking that there is double sided tape to hold in place the sail cloth before sewing ? (and perhaps for a better air tightness ?)
Thanks for sharing your views

Oh and by the way, as you've already been through this, would you say the seams are weak (only one thread instead of two parallel ones on the Flysurfers) ? I already heard that there is not enough overlap between the pieces of cloth and that it may make fixing more difficult.
Cloudsfan

Postby Ismo » January 10th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Cloudsfan wrote:I guess you reuse the previous holes and sew by hand where the thread was ?

if there is any damage in threads, I useally open TE
Cloudsfan wrote: Am I right in thinking that there is double sided tape to hold in place the sail cloth before sewing ? (and perhaps for a better air tightness ?)

Yes and Yes
Cloudsfan wrote:Oh and by the way, as you've already been through this, would you say the seams are weak (only one thread instead of two parallel ones on the Flysurfers) ?

No, I think that ARCs structure are superior to any other kite. it's very easy to fix, there is at max 3 clothes and it's very simple. If You have looked inside Flysurfer, there are straps, loops for bridle and sewing is very difficult.

Cloudsfan wrote: I already heard that there is not enough overlap between the pieces of cloth and that it may make fixing more difficult.

I use tape: Image and cut stripes from that, so there is enough overlap for me
Kites: Charger2 22.5, Charger2 18, Charger1 15, Charger2 12, Venom2 10, Venom1 8, Charger1 6, S-Arc 460, T-Arc 1.3
Ismo

Postby Cloudsfan » January 10th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Many thanks for all the detailed information ! 8-)
Cloudsfan

Postby maddy » January 10th, 2011, 9:49 pm

interesting ;) this stuff should go on the tutorial DVD
a short video showing how to hand-fix arcs

and have a mini sewing and fixing emergency kit delivered together with the kite
it has a ridiculous cost and could be a unique plus (useful for travellers)

I am used to heavvy duty sail films and never guessed arcs could be so simple to fix
nice tks
maddy

Return to On the Land