testing my charger 12

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

testing my charger 12

Postby voodoospirit » February 25th, 2011, 5:45 pm

wind was very unstable 20/30 knots on/off

the charger wasn t very stable, i had hardtime to put my snow on ( i have back in on it), never happened with my other PL kites. managed to put my snow during a lull.

the kite is very fast and turn fast as well, may be too much for me, adding the fact that wind was very gusty and thus , the lack of stability, the ride wasn t fun...kite ended too fast in the middle window, slingshot style....

the charger suck at relaunching compared to the synergy, the tips stays together on ground or even mid-air...i got hard time to open up despite i tug the front lines even over the cleam....a pain...the synergy is way faster to relaunch ( i mean FASTTEERRRRRRRRRRRRR)

i don tl ike the cleam system as it made a loop when i trimmed it, the loop caught a part of my bindings ( during a relaunch), i ended with my snow up and my head down, the binding still caught by the loop of the cleam trimmer.

i QRed but since my binding was stuck, the kite remained with its shape..a lull came, i managed to remove the loop, the kite flagged out and i fell on the head :)

pretty hard to put the security on the chicken loop, there s some kinda of plastic that prevent to put it easely, even with 2 hands without gloves, it s tough.

in my opinion, this kite is fully freestyle oriented and lost the versatile part of the previous PLs...
i was about to sell my synergy12 but i might sell the charger 12 instead despite it s brand new and 2 flights old....

very disapointed by the lack of stability ( combined with the nimbleness of the kite, it doesn t help, i agree) and especially by the relauch taht s wayyyy below the synergy one..the relauch part was a huge deception.
those tips staying together and pretty hard to open up.... :evil:
unity 10
speed3 15 deluxe
venom2 8
askaboard 170/48
TBK mana 130/37
charger 12 (sold), synery 12 (sold), venom2 13 (sold), speed2 15 (sold)
voodoospirit

Re: testing my charger 12

Postby CTB » February 25th, 2011, 6:54 pm

relaunching the charger is pretty simple if you know what you are doing.
from the tip to tip position, pull on the front lines and this will turn the leading edge into the wind, move sightly towards the trailing edge (not closer to the kite but in that direction) the wind will open the kite up and away you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAPtLVeKoY

CTB

Postby CTB » February 25th, 2011, 6:59 pm

as for the clamcleat. why not try unfastening the velcro when you depower the kite
CTB

Postby voodoospirit » February 25th, 2011, 7:02 pm

i ve relaunched the synergy many times

on the charger, when pulling on the front lines, the tips will remains together , even if i tug the front lines, or if i pull the front lines from far... the kite just hover over the ground with the tips together

for the velcro, i didn t notice it. i just checked the bar, that will solve the problem, thx
Last edited by voodoospirit on February 25th, 2011, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unity 10
speed3 15 deluxe
venom2 8
askaboard 170/48
TBK mana 130/37
voodoospirit

Postby CTB » February 25th, 2011, 7:09 pm

with the charger you are not pulling the front lines to open the kite up. the wind does that if you get it in the right angle. once the kite has opened up then you can pull the front lines to gain internal pressure (altenate between front and back lines to minimise collapse)
CTB

Postby voodoospirit » February 25th, 2011, 7:29 pm

ok, i will give a shot when i can. might be less handy than the synergy, but well, it if works :)
unity 10
speed3 15 deluxe
venom2 8
askaboard 170/48
TBK mana 130/37
voodoospirit

Postby lejonklou » February 25th, 2011, 11:41 pm

I have crashed the Charger 12 and 15 quite a lot now, and find it easy to relaunch.

My guess is that you'll find it easy as well, once you get some practice. Less turbulent winds will probably make it feel quite stable, too. I agree that in crazy winds, it can dance around a bit more than some old arcs.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress, voodoo!
Best regards,
Fredrik Lejonklou
Uppsala, Sweden
Chargers 12 and 15 on Navigator bar
Mako original and wide / Snowboard
lejonklou

Postby Cloudsfan » February 26th, 2011, 8:14 am

Same experience here : easy relaunch. Quite true that it's a matter of angle and that at this right angle, it opens by itself as per the manual.
If it doesn't, or just hovers as you're describing, then my experience is that shortening the trimmer really helps if the kite has spent some time on the ground or the water and is wet.
And by the way, great vids Carl, as usual 8-)
Cloudsfan

Postby voodoospirit » February 26th, 2011, 10:20 am

problem will be to get some wind here.
regular winds doesn t exist ( alps snowkite, alps lakes kitesurfing)

i ll try to check the relaunch when i can get some wind, see if i can relaunch it faster than the synergy and those tip-tuck problems. the wind conditions where a bit rough ( 15/30 knots of wind, on/off wind all the time, auto zenith was pretty much non existant with taht wind)

i checked the charger manual for the relaunch part ( as well the video manual), it s the same i do with the synergy

i was planning to put my cam on but i couldn t figure how i would manage to put it out of my backpack, install it on the helmet while controlling the kite in those winds.....but it would have been nice to have some footage of the kite behaviour, hovering.... :)

next time, i can get a 10/15knots winds, i ll do some tests ( dunno when) before picking my speed3 15 and jumping all around in that wind.
unity 10
speed3 15 deluxe
venom2 8
askaboard 170/48
TBK mana 130/37
voodoospirit

Postby lejonklou » February 26th, 2011, 12:17 pm

I know what you mean with the hovering. Happened yesterday a couple of times with my Charger 15 after I had crashed on the snow.

I did this: A hard tug on the front lines, kite opens up slightly. Kite is about to tip clap again, another hard tug, kite rises from ground and opens up fully.

Before pulling the front lines, the kite could hover for a while without opening up and taking off. I found this quite practical, as I had time to adjust my harness and drink some water.
Best regards,
Fredrik Lejonklou
Uppsala, Sweden
lejonklou

Postby lejonklou » March 7th, 2011, 11:17 pm

I should add that it's a question of timing between the tugs on the front line. Did some testing of this during the weekend, and it's no use tugging repeatedly and fast. The right technique is one tug, the kite jellyfishes slightly and when the "wave" in the kite (which your tug makes) is almost complete, you tug again.

I suspect most people who do this don't even think about how they do it, it just works. But in my opinion, it's the timing that does the trick if the kite is in the hovering, handclapped state. Once you succeed, it opens up so that the center of the kite catches the wind. The tips may then still want to move against eachother and this can be stopped by pulling in the bar.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Best regards,
Fredrik Lejonklou
Uppsala, Sweden
lejonklou

Postby Hardwater Kiter » March 14th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Tugg-hold, hold, hold. Tugg-Hold,hold.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby voodoospirit » March 17th, 2011, 6:00 pm

i tried my synergy and charger back to back in the relaunch department.

the synergy wins hands down...everytime, i tried 5 times , each kite
when in taco mode, the synergy remains more bulky in the middle, catching the wind easely and almost autorelaunch(can be a pain, when u DONT want to relaunch it tho..)
the charger remains more flat ( like a half deflated synergy, higher ratio? thinner?), made those tips claps again ( less obvious, wind was cleaner), i should check the inner valves, see if those are nor messed and release the air instead of keeping it...

i almost left PL because of the venom2 relaunches and the charger has more in common with that kite than with the synergy.
the synergy is a no brainer for relaunching, have a full confidence in it for offshore riding, relaunch very easely.
the charger , however, seems to have some hard feedbacks when straps are full in or else....

i only talk about relaunches..for the rest, i consider that the synergy is a polyvalent/versatile/no brainer kite and the charger , a more aggressive/high end/expert kite .

they should keep both kites, one for the all around rider and the other for the more aggressive riders.
unity 10
speed3 15 deluxe
venom2 8
askaboard 170/48
TBK mana 130/37
voodoospirit

Return to On the Land