Low wind buggy power

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

Low wind buggy power

Postby KiteForce » September 29th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Having sold my 15m Synergy I am in need of a new low wind kite.
I ride a large racebuggy and when everyone else is out on 15 or 16m Vapors or other racekites I just didn't bother with the 15m Syn, it was drivable but too much work for nearly no speed.

Now I wonder what to get as a decent low wind kite. Has anyone tried both the 22.5 Charger2 and the 24m Phantom2?
I wonder witch will do best in terms of speed and upwind performance and handling in general. Witch flies the fastest through the air? Would an 18m be better in these situations?

Also, would the Phantoms be more prone to bowties and inverting because of their higher AR?

Thanks,
Koen

(and if anyone would have one of these kites for sale don't hesitate to contact me ;) )
Phantom2's: 6m, 9m, 12m, 15m, 18m, 24m
FOR SALE: Vortex 12m - Synergy 8m - Charger 6m
XXtreme APexx Buggy
KiteForce

Re: Low wind buggy power

Postby Timothy Grossnickle » October 2nd, 2013, 6:09 pm

Hi Koen,

Have flown both the Ch2 22.5 and P2 24. Am using Ch2 22.5 now on the water and loving it for light winds. Its an amazing kite for both low end grunt and stability. I flew the P2 24 on the water and not on land also in light winds. Of the two for land use I'm guessing the P2 24 faster than the Ch2 22.5 due to the more narrow profile of the P2. I also flew the P2 15 in a good breeze on the water and thought it faster than my Ch1 15 in similar conditions, but with less grunt. The P2 24 certainly while still a powerful kite produces less grunt than the Ch2 22.5.

On turning I'm thinking the P2 24 and Ch2 22.5 turn about the same which isn't super fast given their size. In rigging and using both the P2 15 and P2 24 I didn't notice any tendency for them to invert or bow tie. The P2 features a wider more square profile than the original very fast F Arc's and Scorpions which did tend to bow tie a lot. I don't think you will have any problems with the P2 turning into a bow tie.

Hope this answers your questions. Although if you are using these kites only for land use I'm wondering why you don't use an open cell bridled foil? With their very narrow profile I'm thinking you would get more speed across land. None the less the P2 will certainly work on water as well as on land...

Regards,
Tim
Timothy Grossnickle

Re: Low wind buggy power

Postby KiteForce » October 3rd, 2013, 6:22 pm

Thanks Tim. That sounds great, I don't need alot of grunt in my big kites, that tends to pull me sideways when diving the kite instead of building up speed cross or upwind.

The reason I don't get a fixed bridle kite is I love arcs too much. Love the stability, the way they handle, the steering feel, auto-zenith, and the fact i can go anywhere with them snow, water, beach.
Phantom2's: 6m, 9m, 12m, 15m, 18m, 24m
FOR SALE: Vortex 12m - Synergy 8m - Charger 6m
XXtreme APexx Buggy
KiteForce

Return to On the Land