Phantom2 help

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

Phantom2 help

Postby slonnik » October 19th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Hi

I had my first session on twinskin today. my new phantom2 15m

kite looks great, but there are some issues I want to ask about.

I always wondered about auto-zenith. So I tried it..I let go of bar.
1. one issue I noticed is that the kite did not want to stay above but slowly fall to my left side. does it mean that my left center line is a little bit shorter? or any other possible cause?
2. sometimes it seemed that the kite wants to overflow. Does it mean that my rear lines are too long? will it help if I shorten them?

Thanks for any advice.
slonnik

Re: Phantom2 help

Postby Ismo » October 20th, 2013, 5:45 am

1. left center line longer, sand in tip. Check the line lengts, those must be within 1cm. If kite pulls just a bit to other direction, easy fix is adjusting front lines just a bit different length, but not more than 2-3cm.

2. Did it overflow? If wind is good, steady. arcs don't overflow. But if You are in hill and come down from it it's possible that wind changes direction from horizontal to a bit vertical, and every kite will overflow in those conditions. This same can happen if there is threes or other obstacles. I use regularly 1 launchplace where every kite overflows if backlines are not tight and You don't fly kite all time. I adjust my lines so that when depowerstrap is longest, bar is pulled all in, and wind is light (3-4m/s) kite reverses.
Kites: Charger2 22.5, Charger2 18, Charger1 15, Charger2 12, Venom2 10, Venom1 8, Charger1 6, S-Arc 460, T-Arc 1.3
Ismo

Postby slonnik » October 20th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Hi

thanks for advice

1. no sand in the kite I will measure lines next time I go out. Is it possible that bridals are not the same length? (VPC)

2. I'm not sure whether it overflowed. no hills, open area with no obstacles in more than 200-300m. (old airport) The wind was gusty and changed directions. Maybe I was just standing in wrong direction (so the kite auto-zenithed but from my perspective it overflowed. not sure know)

3. Here is my next question. How do I know if my lines (center vs rear) are set-up correctly? If My depowerstar is at its longest. should there by any slack on rear lines?

4. what does it mean when kite reverses?

thanks
slonnik

Postby Ismo » October 22nd, 2013, 4:49 am

1. Yes, You should check those too.

2. 2-300m from obstacle is not enought. It can still affect to wind. If You have 300m to forest and wind comes from that direction, it will be very turbulent wind. You need something like 2-3 km clear area before wind is good.

3. I haven't used phantom2, so I don't know. But in high winds backlines are not straight, because backlines have less pressure wind "bends" those.

4. Flying backwards, just like car. You can't do reverse launch, but kite reverses in air.
Kites: Charger2 22.5, Charger2 18, Charger1 15, Charger2 12, Venom2 10, Venom1 8, Charger1 6, S-Arc 460, T-Arc 1.3
Ismo

Postby Hardwater Kiter » December 7th, 2013, 12:16 am

Old post I know but I wanted offer my 00.02. It all sounds a lot like you're dealing with dirty (turbulent) wind.

Keep in mine the rule of thumb is that the wind shadow of an object is between 3 and 7 times the height of the object the wind is blowing across. It varies with windspeed but basically if the object is 100 feet tall, the turbulence doesn't settle until 300 feet down wind. The windier, the farther downwind you have to be to get out of the shadow.

Ismo is right, you will have some bending to the backlines. Not much though.

Flying backwards, sounds like a hole in your wind. The Phantom will surge slightly forward in a gust at AZ but it will slide or drift backward in a hole or lull until the lull passes then it will surge forward.

Arcs can over fly, usually in a gust. Not by much and it can be countered by sheeting in slightly. Be careful as if you do it too much it will lift. Takes a little practice.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Postby slonnik » December 7th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Hi

Thanks for advice.

I'm aware of the rule 3-7 times the obstacle (in fact I learnt 10x). And I believe I act according to that. But maybe my assumption of distance is wrong and I was not far from the building.

But anyway, wind was gusty as it is usual on that spot.
So far I did not have time to try line set-up. I was once on the field but wind was dead.

Unfortunately, I will not get my kite out any soon. I have Lumbar Herniated Disc, so I need rest and get it back to normal :-(
slonnik

Postby slonnik » February 22nd, 2014, 9:53 pm

hi guys,

what are extension lines good for? what are advantages and disadvantages?

Do you use them?

btw, I checked my lines and they seem to be the same length. is there any other possible reason my kite turns to one side?
slonnik

Postby CTB » February 22nd, 2014, 10:07 pm

check your internal straps are both set to the same
CTB

Postby slonnik » February 23rd, 2014, 9:08 pm

I already checked that. tried both sides all loose. then both sides in the middle.
slonnik

Postby slonnik » February 27th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Hi

Is Phantom2 originally shipped with V lines or Y lines setup?

And which one is better for Phantom 2? Which one do you use?
slonnik

Postby CTB » February 27th, 2014, 11:29 pm

v lines. the y lines pull the tips in too much
CTB

Postby KiteForce » March 24th, 2014, 9:01 pm

slonnik wrote:hi guys,

what are extension lines good for? what are advantages and disadvantages?

Do you use them?

btw, I checked my lines and they seem to be the same length. is there any other possible reason my kite turns to one side?

The extension lines are usefull, specially on larger kites. They give the kite more space to fly, so it generates more power. Also, with more height comes more wind usually.
Sometimes when I am overpowered and wind keeps rising, I take out the extensions rather than taking a smaller kite.
Phantom2's: 6m, 9m, 12m, 15m, 18m, 24m
FOR SALE: Vortex 12m - Synergy 8m - Charger 6m
XXtreme APexx Buggy
KiteForce

Postby Hardwater Kiter » April 8th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Extensions can also get you above turbulence induced by your surroundings. We use them a lot when flying up channels and rivers where the wind is too punchy or non-existent because the space we are in is too narrow.
"The rider makes the kite."
Owner/instructor @ http://www.hardwaterkiter.com
Hardwater Kiter

Return to On the Land