Waterfoil questions

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

Waterfoil questions

Postby owenbre » November 17th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Hey Lads n'lasses,

I've been mucking around with a 5.7Mtr Waterfoil for about 1 year now.

It's a great low wind land boarding kite & flys really well on handles.

My questions are ...

1.Has anyone here tried making a crossover bar or any advise on a good bar set-up?

2.Has anyone tried putting a deflation zipper into one & did it work?

Regards,
Owen

Before i get a tirade of people shouting about it being an old kite & not to waste my time on it as there's lots of newer / better kites out there .... i know.i just like tinkering with old kites :D
owenbre

Re: Waterfoil questions

Postby aatamian » November 18th, 2013, 7:51 am

If I do remember well Kane Hartill and Stefanie Gamble ("Real PL" riders from NZ) at the time used it on the water on a double line setup including a crossover system. It was the very early days of the Arcs as he was constantly switching from Arc to C-Quads to Waterfoils with bars or handles (yes, during kitesurfing competitions!).

By the way, any of you guys have pictures of this (early 2000)?

Regards,
Avo, still a big fan! :P
aatamian

Postby owenbre » November 18th, 2013, 9:59 am

Thanks Avo,

I'd love to see some of that footage too.

I'm defo gonna put the deflation zipper in.I'll take a few pick & let ye know how i get on with it.

Wonder would one of these work with it ... ???

owenbre

Postby Andreas » December 3rd, 2013, 2:22 pm

Waterfoils are interesting kites. I fly it for awhile with a three line setup on a bar, with one brake line. The brakes had to be completely slack and preferebly with a sliding ring, otherwise they act conteractive to the steering with the front lines. The brake line was only for safety and upside down starting. Any but the smallest tension on the brakes and it's speed through the window reduses significantly.

The experiense with my 3.6 is that it flies best on handles due to its crossover bridle. Steering mainly with the front lines with brake line as optional steering input. But steering with the brakes reduce power.

I don't beleeve the ozone bar in the pic will work so good, cause the brake line steering input slows it down to much.

Cheers
C-QUAD 3.2, C-QUAD 4.2, ARC 1120, ARC 460, Waterfoil 3.6 (Now rep :-) ), Flysurfer MastAir 16, Vade Retro Satana 7 m2 (under rep), VenomII 16 (waiting for rep), Synergy 15.

Top speed on skies: 71,0 km/h or 44.1 mph (feb 24 -2011, Syn 15)
Andreas

Return to On the Land