Arc 1120 - getting it into the air

On buggies, snowboards, skis, etc.

Arc 1120 - getting it into the air

Postby arc fiend » January 24th, 2014, 8:52 am

I have searched this forum for the advice but by the time I had read all the topics I had forgotten what the question was.
I have been lucky enough to get a brand new Arc 1120 with bar and lines (shop stock long forgotten) at a price that made it worth having just for the lines.

The set up:
I cannot identify the bar, except to say it is not so old as the FArc and others had which featured a 'windable' section in the middle. It is rather ordinary, with a depower line going through under the bar ending in a rudimentary chicken loop affair. It looks like it might be an 02 bar.

Assuming it is 'ready to fly' I have simply attached the lines, removed the bloody awful kite killer set up (linked in to the rear line and a candidate for instant line tangle), looked up tiscali.co.uk for any information I might have
needed and proceeded to launch.

It does launch, it does gain altitude, but only if I have several handfuls of front lines in my hands. It climbs out (assuming I have a near gale force wind) and will park nicely over my head, but still exhibits a serious tendency to spread the wings out like a reverse clapping motion, and reverse back down, elegantly, when there is a slight lull.

I tried adding pigtails, front and rear, to no avail - but, in hindsight I may have had them the wrong way round - I seem to remember it was about 18 inches for the rear lines and 3 inches for the front

It looks to me like it needs drastically shorter front lines or something similar. I am launching this not hooked in to a harness so that I can drop the lot if it get's away on me.

I have no particular use for it, although I have 2 Peter Lynn buggies and the thought was it might be a bit of fun. It is also a superb example of Peter's designs through the years. I also own a F arc 12 which I got lucky with but it makes me a bit nervous and I am prone to cut away before it reaches the apex (No balls I think).

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
20140124_12152_11.jpg
20140124_12152_11.jpg (234.66 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
arc1120_resize.jpg
arc1120_resize.jpg (247.36 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
arc fiend

Re: Arc 1120 - getting it into the air

Postby arc fiend » February 10th, 2014, 12:08 pm

well, that went well
... can someone identify the bar then?
arc fiend

Postby aatamian » February 10th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Add some pigtail extension, at the rear only. Approx 30cm with a knot every 3 cm, this way you can play with the rear line length, I would start with 20cm and see what it does.
Careful, there is very little range from power up to stalling on these antiques.
That big mama will stall even much more in light winds. However upwind is decent and power per size is better than with following generation of arcs.
You may add a wedge to it to lessen stalling and improve steering speed (google that)

Hope it helps.
Avo
aatamian

Postby daves » February 12th, 2014, 7:21 am

That is the big bar. It will probably help with the 1120 because it can be a little slow turning in light wind.

Avo is right on in that you will need to make incremental adjustments with the front/rear line lengths until you get the balance right. Some of those big bars came with long leaders on the rear lines, which would make for a sloppy steering kite with no power. It's a fine balance, but when you get it down and learn to fly the kite, the 1120 can be a lot of fun. The kite should start to stall and flare when the bar has about 2" of pull remaining. Remember, sheeting out speeds up the kite and increases depower, but reduces steering input. S-arc have great auto zenith and stability at around half. Sheet in to steer and get power on the down stroke. You may find that you really have to work the bar to take advantage of the range.

Also, it looks like you may have one of the orange "proto" kites that were made at the Lynn loft in NZ. Some of these were improved with comments made on the old yahoo forum. Check to see if there is a wedge (tuck on the top surface) or a zipper in the middle cell. If there is a black trim strip on the trailing edge, you should remove it. Also, do not leave your kite in the car on a hot day... The S-arcs were constructed with seam tape that can melt and shift and this may alter the kite behavior. My 1120 flies to one side after a hot day in the car.

Dave
daves

Postby arc fiend » February 18th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Right, that gives me something to work with.
Now to see how it goes.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.
arc fiend

Return to On the Land